Manufacturing Engineer Degree Apprentice
Established over 30 years PSM Instrumentation Ltd, based in Haywards Heath, is a specialist in the design, manufacture and supply of marine control instrumentation and protection systems for the marine transportation industry. In 2016 PSM was acquired by Scanjet of Sweden and is now part of an international group that supplies a comprehensive range of products to the Marine Market worldwide.
The Degree Apprenticeship, spread over 4 years, involves a structured training programme through the University of Chichester at its Bognor Regis campus to include workshops, seminars and practical, lab based activities to gain the required skills and knowledge to complete a degree in Mechanical Engineering and also support the requirements of a world-leading sensor manufacturing company.
The role will provide support to the Chief Technical Officer and Production Manager whilst working within the technical team to gain practical hands on experience in a manufacturing environment in activities involved in continuously improving manufacturing processes and performance, ensuring products can be made reliably and perform consistently in specified operative environments.
As part of an international group of companies there will be the opportunity to collaborate with other engineers ‘cross-border’.
- develop, test and evaluate theoretical designs
- liaise with manufacturing departments, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers to solve complex problems
- develop project specifications with colleagues – including those from other engineering disciplines
- manage projects using engineering and project management principles and techniques
- plan and design new production processes
- produce detailed specifications and outline designs and recommend modifications following prototype test results
- use research, analytical, conceptual and planning skills with mathematical modelling and computer-aided design
- writing reports and documentation
- working within budget, cost, safety and time constraints
Key Skills & behaviours
- problem solving skills
- interpersonal skills
- verbal & written communication skills
- team-working skills
- willingness to learn and apply newly gained knowledge quickly
- ability to balance workload between University and work commitments
- able to demonstrate elements of leadership and teamwork
- bright, articulate and enthusiastic
The ideal candidate will be endlessly curious and able to demonstrate a passion for engineering, not just in an academic capacity but also in hobbies and interests, together with elements of leadership, teamwork and community work (ie Duke of Edinburgh, sports captain etc)
- 3 x A levels (or equivalent) at grade C or above to include Maths and a technology subject
- GCSE’s to include STEM subjects and English