Degree Apprentice - Software Engineering
4 days left
- 24 months+
Part of UK Research & Innovation (UKRI), the Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC) aims to make sense of the universe. From cancer treatment to airport security, energy generation to emergency care, our impact is felt across the globe. We're committed to keeping the UK at the forefront of world-changing science, but that will take more than science alone. STFC is the UK's provider of large-scale inter-disciplinary research infrastructures and their supporting technologies, which enable UK researchers to continue to make this impact.
The Hartree Centre is transforming UK industry through high-performance computing, big data and cognitive technologies. We want to see UK businesses outperform their global competitors. We want to grow the economy, create skilled jobs and train people to excel. We're making all this happen and more by helping UK industry to be at the forefront of technical innovation with the use of the latest Digital, High Performance Computing, Big Data and Artificial Intelligence Technologies.
The Hartree Centre has a technically exciting computing environment, encompassing a wide range of hardware and software. Our staff are key to our success and we value them highly.
We have a technically exciting computing environment, encompassing a wide range of hardware and software. Our staff are key to our success and we value them highly. Reasons our staff enjoy working for us:
- our state-of-the-art Sci-Tech Daresbury campus is lively and dynamic, co-locating a number of exiting high-tech SMEs and multi-disciplinary collaborations
located in a picturesque semi-rural location with easy access to canal-side and woodland walking
- an excellent benefit pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 26%
- 30 days’ annual leave plus 10.5 public and privilege days
- high profile collaborations with organisations such as Rolls-Royce, EDF Energy, Dyson, Jaguar Landrover, Bentley, BAR, Unilever, and Schlumberger.
At the end of your apprenticeship, you will have achieved a BSc (Hons) Degree in Digital & Technology Solutions.
- building, testing and deploying software applications
- developing proof-of-concepts and demos
- creating documentation, reports and Web content.
You will work on a range of projects (lasting from a few weeks to a year or more), working with commercial customers, academic collaborators and technology partners like IBM Research and ATOS. Expect to get involved throughout the software development lifecycle, supported as an integral part of the growing RSE team. Some of the work will be commercial in confidence and subject to IPR rules around public disclosure. The choice of projects will depend to on your existing experience and contacts, but the common thread, aligned to the Hartree Centre mission, is to deliver easy-to-use, innovative and scalable solutions that address real industry problems.
You will have a strong demonstrable interest in software engineering, with 104 UCAS tariff points at A Level (x 3 subjects with grades BCC) or an equivalent e.g. BTEC Distinction, Merit, Merit. Programming experience with at least one language would be an advantage.
- hold (or expect to achieve) qualifications equation to 104 UCAS tariff points at A Level (x 3 subjects with grades BCC) or an equivalent e.g. BTEC Distinction, Merit (S)
- strong interest in software development (I)
- can work as part of a team and independently (I)
- good written communication skills (S)
- good verbal communication skills (I).
- programming experience with at least one language (S&I)
- ideally, at least one qualification in computing or similar subject area at Level 3 or above (S&I).