The Membership department was established in October 1999 to bring together, co-ordinate and develop all membership functions. These functions are critical to the effective running of the RCP as a whole, as well as its income. This role is a junior role created to assist the team’s ever increasing workload as the membership numbers continue to grow. It requires good all round skills in this area. Strong attention to detail is required along with being organized and a willingness to work flexibly as part of a small team.
As a membership assistant, you would be responsible for assisting with the day to day smooth running of the membership administration. This includes processing journal mailings as a member benefit for our members, also to assist with membership enquiries, assist with the collection of membership subscription income and dealing with general administration such as data inputting, filing and the office.
- Use our customer relationship management (CRM) to create data for our mailing house in order to distribute Journal mailings to our membership. The Royal College of Physicians has over 36,000 members and delivery of our Journal of Clinical Medicine, our College Commentary magazine and the Future Health Journal is a core member benefit which is currently distributed on a monthly basis in various combinations.
- Process returned journal mailings and re-send mailings as appropriate.
- Process member requests for ad hoc delivery of the journal or member publication
Assist membership enquiries
- Act as a point of contact for member enquiries, both over the phone, email and in person. Excellent written and telephone communications skills and a friendly and helpful customer service ethos are essential.
Assist membership subscription income collection
- Work with the senior membership administrator to help collect membership subscription income from members who are more than 6 months in arrears using the telephone and email.
- Assist with the processing of credit/debit card payments towards the annual membership subscription generated from membership renewals and membership applications. Also process Direct Debit mandates and BACS Direct Debit Advice of Direct Debit Amendments and Cancellations (ADDACS) reports from members wishing to pay by Direct Debit.
Update member details
- Process membership applications, retirements and cancellations onto the CRM for each of our member categories. Use the CRM to update member details such as personal contact details, payment information, marketing information and perform basic query searches.
- Keep accurate records, filing, dealing with office post, data inputting etc
- Any other duties as may be reasonably expected and which are commensurate with the level of the post.
- From time to time the post-holder may be required to assist with other functions of the membership department such as the election of new fellows during the fellowship election process and the recruitment of new members at membership ceremonies.
- Adhere and comply with the provisions of the College’s Health and Safety Policy.
- Undertake all duties and responsibilities in compliance with the rules and regulations encompassing equal opportunities.
About the employer
The Royal College of Physicians is a professional body that aims to improve the quality of patient care by continually raising medical standards. We represent over 36,000 physicians in the UK and worldwide, leading medical debate, and lobbying and advising government and other decision-makers on their behalf. We undertake clinical audits and publish guidelines and standards on clinical practice and patient care. We maintain professional standards of physicians through examinations, training courses, continuous professional development and educational conferences.
They play a pivotal role in setting the standards and through a variety of activities, influences the quality of medical practice in hospitals.They conduct examinations, carry out training, education and research activities and advise the Government and the profession on health and medical matters.
11 St. Andrews Place
- Monday - Friday 9am-5pm (1 hour lunch)
- Total hours per week: 35.00
- IT Literate- Excel, Word and Outlook
- Ability to prioritise workload according to importance and urgency
- A methodical approach to work and the ability to pay close attention to detail, achieving high standards of accuracy and integrity.
- Demonstrates good listening skills through their responses to other people's communications, whether on the telephone or in person, with both internal and external customers.
- Good personal organisation
- Responds effectively and positively to pressure
- Uses a systematic approach to planning and organisation to ensure tasks and projects are delivered on time and within budget
- Adapts to change and new ways of working positively, effectively and completely
- A flexible approach in relation to time management and prioritisation of work
- Shares information and intelligence to help others give of their best.
- Shows enthusiasm for achieving service improvements
- It is desired that the successful candidate will hold GCSE grades (A*-C) / (9-4) in English and Maths.
- However, if these have not been achieved Key Training will provide support and upskill in these subjects through Functional Skills, which will be a requirement.
- If hard work has been shown throughout the Apprenticeship, there will be the opportunity to progress onto a full-time position within the company after completion of the Apprenticeship.
- Looking for an apprentice to grow and contribute to the company long-term.
Training to be provided
- Level 3 in Business Administration
- Functional Skills in Maths and English (If needed)
- 27 days’ annual leave plus statutory holidays
- 35-hour week (positions at Grade 5 and above may require additional hours commensurate with position)
- Flexi-time scheme (Grades 2–4)
- Pension scheme (GPPP scheme and death in service benefit)
- Free staff restaurant (lunchtime Monday to Friday working days exclusive of bank holidays)
- Interest-free season ticket loan (following completion of probation)
- Enhanced maternity pay (after 2 years of service)
- Individual learning and development needs review
- Occupational health support
- Cycle to work scheme
Apply for Membership Assistant
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly