Software Developer Apprentice (Level 4) with Financial Conduct Authority
You will be placed in the Market Business Intelligence (MBi) team sits which sits within the Secondary Market Oversight, part of the Markets Oversight Directorate and Enforcement Division, and is responsible for tackling market abuse in order to improve market integrity and reduce financial crime.
MBi team consists of software engineers and quantitative analysts who use specialised market surveillance and advanced analytics systems to build algorithms in order to integrate the most comprehensive financial transaction and order book datasets available in Europe. MBi works closely with other teams, Departments and Divisions across the FCA to maximise the information wealth held in our data and systems.
What does this role involve?
- Day to day work including, but not limited to:
- Writing good quality code (logic) with sound syntax in at least one language.
- Linking code to the database/data sets.
- Testing code and analyse results to correct errors found using either V-model manual testing and/or using unit testing.
- De-bugging code and can understanding the structure of programmes in order to identify and resolve issues.
- Creating simple data models and software designs to effectively communicate understanding of the program, following best practices and standards.
- Analysis and creation of basic analysis artefacts, such as user cases and/or user stories.
- Build manage and deploy code into enterprise environments.
- Development at all stages of the software development lifecycle, with increasing breadth and depth over time with initial focus on build and test.
- Providing assistance to individual staff members on an ad-hoc basis.
What will I get from the role?
- A challenging, interesting and varied job in one of the most high-profile and dynamic areas of the FCA
- Knowledge and understanding of the work of the Financial Conduct Authority and in particular the market surveillance tools and techniques widely used in the financial markets.
- The opportunity to develop your technical skills
- Supportive managers and colleagues interested in your development
- Competent in Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Accurate and an eye for detail
- Strong analytical skills and mathematical and/or statistical background.
- Effective organisational and time management skills and ability to prioritise and manage a varied workload.
- Professional and confident approach to work
- Drive and determination to get things done
- A high degree of initiative and commitment
- Ability to work as part of a team and to develop and maintain strong relationships
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to use own initiative and judgement
- A thorough and organised approach to work
- Ability to communicate effectively in a variety of situations.
Minimum of 2 A Levels at grade B or above in English and Maths or equivalent.
Suitable information technology GCSE and/or A level.
5 GCSEs A*-C including English and Maths or equivalent qualifications.
Please note that you will not be eligible to apply to this programme if you have already obtained a professional qualification in this field.Future prospects Apprentices who successfully pass their apprenticeship and any associated professional qualifications may be offered a permanent role to continue their career at the FCA.