Mechanical Engineering with Manufacturing Degree Apprenticeship
- Our new Degree Apprenticeship in Mechanical Engineering with Manufacturing will offer successful candidates the chance to complete a fully funded BEng degree while earning with a very competitive starting salary of £19,436.
- Over the six year programme students will earn a BEng degree in Mechanical Engineering with Manufacturing.
- This programme will offer the opportunity to gain extensive experience within our in-site production department as well as the design, analytical and wider business awareness areas for which our graduate scheme is held in such high regard.
- The programme is split into two sections. For the first four years you will work towards your BEng degree, which is being run in partnership with the University of West of England (UWE).
- The first year will be spent in a workshop environment with taught modules delivered by UWE's preferred course provider, the City of Bristol College.
- Years two to four will be spent completing placements across the business, with a particular focus on our production environment, where you will learn how we produce the high quality complex assemblies for which Babcock DST is renowned. During this time you will attend UWE on day release to complete your BEng degree.
- The second part of our programme is based on our highly successful graduate scheme, which was recently assessed by the IMechE as "one of the best graduate schemes in the country".
- This programme gives you a broad exposure to our business, including experience in analysis, design, business winning and project management. There are also opportunities to undertake off-site placements at some of our other business units - something which we strongly encourage and support.
- In addition to College/University all apprentices receive personal development training with an external provider. All apprentices also have a mentor and a buddy to support them through the programme.
Requirements and prospects
- Able to communicate well at all levels, both verbally and through formal written correspondence
- The ability to work well in a team, as well as focus on your own self development
- A passion for Engineering and Technology
We want to meet with people who can demonstrate a strong aptitude for and interest in technical-based subject matter. Also, we want applicants able to work in a team, who are self-motivated and are hard working.
To apply you will need a minimum of 5 GCSEs, all at C/4 grade or above including maths, English and a Science, or equivalent qualification, plus have or be working towards 3 A-levels with an A level Grade or above predicted in maths, Physics plus a third subject of B grade or above, or equivalent qualifications.
The aim of the apprenticeship is to prepare you for a permanent Engineering role working as an Engineer within Defence Systems Technology. We are also committed to supporting further development of our ex-apprentices through further education and technical training.
Things to consider
We offer 25 days holiday entitlement plus 8 public holidays.
Working week:Normal hours of work are 37 per week, Monday to Friday, with a flexible start and finish time that that will include core working times of 09.30 to 16.00, Mondays to Thursdays with an unpaid lunch break of 30 minutes per day and 09.30 to 12.30 on Fridays. The Company reserves the right to vary, at any time, your normal working hours, in order to meet changing business needs.
Successful candidates will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements and may be required to complete a medical assessment.
The role will be in an environment regulated by Trade Control legislation and involve working with controlled goods, technology and/or services. This may require you to meet enhanced security and regular screening checks.