Civil Engineering Technician Apprentice
2 days left
A technician will provide technical support to our engineers who design and manage construction projects, mainly in the small to medium-sized building projects. Projects will range from residential/commercial and the arts sector. The technician will become specialised in the structural form of existing buildings and how best to refurbish them.
A technician's work is likely to involve:
- Designing - surveying the site and producing design drawings
- Estimating - preparing detailed estimates and producing information on the quantity and type of materials to be used
- Planning - helping to set deadlines for the delivery of materials, equipment and labour for completing each stage of the project
- Site engineering - responsibility for checking the progress of particular technical aspects of the construction work
Key elements of the role include:
- Production of CAD drawings
- Preparation of calculations
- Supporting the administration of projects
- Ensuring outputs meet the required standards
- Meeting agreed deadlines
- Working as a member of a team
- Contributing to providing solutions to problems
- Working primarily in an office environment and also carrying out site inspections
Important skills include:
- Good communication, numeracy and IT skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work under own initiative.
- Good at problem solving
- Attention to detail
- A desire to come up with practical solutions
More generally, strong starting points for becoming a good engineering technician include:
- Being good at maths and physics
- A creative and practical nature
- Ability to adapt and persevere
- An interest in using computers for design work, calculations and testing designs
- The ability to think logically and outside the box
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Excellent communication skills to present information in speech, drawings and reports.
You should be able to demonstrate that you are:
- Willing to learn
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs (or Level 2 equivalent) at grades A-C (5-9) to include: English, Maths, a science (preferably Physics), and a technology-related subject.
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Engineering, Civil Engineering or Electrical/Electronic Engineering (minimum grade MM) or equivalent qualification.