Healthcare Science Associate Level 4 Apprentice
- Receipt, booking in and preparation of a wide range of patient sample types for analysis using a variety of manual and automated procedures e.g. DNA and RNA extraction, cell culture using aseptic techniques, harvesting cell cultures, including preparing samples for dispatch to other laboratories
- Perform basic quality control and sample identity checks as required.
- Prepare samples for genetic analysis by setting up laboratory tests using manual methods as well as use of high throughput robots, genetic analysers, cell selection/capturing and karyotyping.
- Maintain stocks of solutions, reagents, chemicals and consumables for use in the laboratory
- Maintain an accurate record of any work undertaken including the completion and maintenance of computer records.
- Maintain and follow standard operating procedures and to work within the department's Quality Management System, including adherence to current professional standards.
- Maintain the cleanliness and tidiness of the laboratory and participate in housekeeping rotas.
Requirements and prospects
Applicants should be able to demonstrate good attention to detail and manual co-ordination, be capable of working under pressure to tight deadlines and be able to demonstrate a flexible approach to work.
Healthcare science apprentices are expected to be friendly, caring and sensitive with the confidence to communicate with other healthcare professional colleagues. A professional outlook is essential.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals who are committed to a career in laboratory diagnostics and we invite applications from individuals who have a good basic education (GCSEs and A levels, including science), or equivalent qualifications or vocational experience. Previous laboratory experience is an advantage, but more important is an interest in laboratory work, enthusiasm, flexibility, and ability to work with minimal supervision/as part of a team.
Possibility of a permanent job for the right candidate.
Things to consider
Worried about getting into college? Don't be! Halesowen College offers a free coach service to and from campuses for all students, including apprentices. There are various stops and routes with-in the local area, follow the link for more info: http://www.halesowen.ac.uk/index.cfm?contentarea=busService
For more information on the National Minimum Wage for Apprentices please visit https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates