Commercial Insurance Apprentice (Level 3) with Thompson & Richardson Ltd
About the company:
The Thompson & Richardson Group provide a professional insurance broking service to all of our clients, whether insuring a single private car or a company.
Founded in 1964, the Thompson & Richardson Group is Lincolnshire’s leading insurance broker and independent intermediary handling £30 million of premium income. We are a group company of Brokerbility, a national association of Insurance Brokers.
About the role:
Working towards being able to offer a comprehensive insurance service to existing and potential new customers whilst assisting other colleagues on a day to day basis within the office. This will involve providing quotations on all types of General Insurance via the telephone, face to face or in writing, placing cover when instructed, inviting and confirming renewals, dealing with mid-term adjustments and providing assistance with claims issues if and when appropriate.
Working towards offering a general and non- insurance administrative support role to colleagues and Directors within the office in the day to day operation of the business.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (working towards)
- Provide new business quotations for all classes of General Insurance on request, providing relevant advice, information and guidance. Where customer requests are beyond your range of experience or authority, immediate referral to be made.
- Take instructions from new clients, ensuring cover commences at the correct time, all relevant paperwork is completed, premium is collected and relevant records and diary entries are created. Where a Private Car or Household insurance product is placed with an insurer using Full Cycle EDI, this will also involve issuing the Certificate of Insurance and Policy Schedule, and despatching to the customer with the correct policy document.
- Take instructions from existing customers in respect of alterations to current policies, ensuring insurers are notified and records updated. Where this involves a Private Car or Household policy that is placed with an insurer using Full Cycle EDI, this will include completing the adjustment at the time it arises.
- Offer renewal of existing clients’ policies with current insurer or move to new insurer, as appropriate. In each case, ensure relevant paperwork is completed, premium is collected and relevant records and diary entries are created.
- Check thoroughly all client documentation before despatch, ensuring queries are raised and amendments completed.
- Control your own diary system, ensuring all items are followed up by the due dates, particularly in relation to outstanding documentation from clients or insurers, premium payments and continuation cover notes.
- Provide risk advice/risk management/risk prevention information on both Commercial Motor and Non-Motor risks to customers, in conjunction with Underwriters, as appropriate.
- Assist, when required, with the Accounts function of the business in carrying out credit control with relevant customers.
- Provide back up to the Director in performing the daily and operational routines of the Company’s computer system.
- Recognise and integrate FCA regulatory practices in every area of the role.
- Any other duties that may be required by the Directors in accordance with the nature of this job.
Brokerbility and the Academy
Brokerbility is an exclusive group of like-minded, high quality independent brokers. The brokers within the organisation were selected for their reputation in the insurance marketplace and as a result are all well established, highly ethical, well managed and forward thinking businesses in their own right.
Brokerbility acquired its first broker in January 2006 and since then has developed and strengthened its organisational profile both structurally and financially. Today Brokerbility controls over £640m in premiums. The Brokerbility Academy was created to help us maintain our reputation by continuing to recruit and train the very best of people within the group. If you consider yourself to have what it takes to be excellent then we have the commitment, resource and finances to invest in you. Excellent people are what we are made of.
The additional Brokerbility Academy programme will include:
- Induction with peers across the Brokerbility network
- Business & Soft Skills Workshop
- Claims & Risk Management Workshop
- Key Partner Underwriting and Broking Master Class
- Introduction to Sales 2 day Professional Workshop
- Graduation Event held in the CII Great Hall, Aldermanbury, London
All the Brokerbility Academy events will take place away from the normal place of business and candidates will be expected to travel to various UK venues and actively participate in the programme.
About the Award
As an Insurance Practitioner Apprentice with BPP, you will complete the new apprenticeship standard - Insurance Practitioner level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship. This apprenticeship is aligned to the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) and uses an innovative and flexible approach to demonstrating competency in the workplace.
Completion of the apprenticeship will result in the awarding of the Certificate in Insurance from the CII (Cert CIIO -Chartered Insurance Institute).
The apprenticeship will be studied using our Online Classroom, supported by our award winning Virtual Learning Environment.
Created by the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII), leading financial services and insurance employers this Standard is designed to encourage access to the insurance profession by providing an entry level role into the industry.
It includes a Level 3 CII professional qualification (Cert CII designation) with an innovative and flexible approach to demonstrating competency. The Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours learnt will be transferable across roles within the business such as insurance claims, loss adjusting, broking, underwriting, reinsurance, client relations and account management.
- Punctuality and attention to detail.
- Communications skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Literacy & Numeracy
- Competent in Word and Excel would be useful
- Willingness to enter the Chartered Insurance examination programme