4 days left
Metro Shipping is a leading British logistics provider with headquarters in Birmingham. Established in 1980 we have an excellent reputation and are continuing to expand within the UK and worldwide markets. Our global infrastructure allows us to move different kinds of freight around the world successfully. We are a freight forwarder managing multimodal solutions for our portfolio of blue chip customers, many of which are well known brands. Our services are provided with a focus excellent customer service and all have an emphasis on technical solutions to ensure that our customers are well informed of the status of their freight.
We are looking for apprentices seeking a career working within a global supply chain supporting major worldwide clients. We are looking for someone who is good at problem solving, communicating, planning, managing time critical milestones with a good attention to detail. This is a fast paced industry where work is ever changing and is always challenging. Metro is a freight forwarder providing excellent customer service to blue chip customers, many of which are well known brands.
To work within an operational department, based at our Birmingham HQ on the Birmingham Business Park and learn what it takes to be a logistics professional supporting one of our blue chip high profile clients:
- Using internal systems to create documentation that will enable freight to be moved to customer specifications, on time with all the necessary customs and legal documentation, including:
- Creating and updating freight bookings.
- Raise customs documentation to ensure the freight can move from country to country.
- Collate all documents and distribute them to customers and carriers, as required.
- Preparing, processing and checking of invoices.
- Deal with customer requests and queries by telephone and email quickly and efficiently by passing them on to the appropriate colleagues in the department.
- Contacting customers directly to advise them of planned shipment details.
- Communicate with departmental colleagues and other Metro staff, ensuring that the messages are clear precise and effective.
- Accurate & timely reporting to department manager.
- Take ownership of your training and development so you can continuously improve and develop the skills required by junior freight forwarder.
What we offer
- An apprenticeship lasting 18 months within Metro’s operational departments dealing with global freight logistics (in the right circumstances there may be the opportunity to work in more than one area of the business).
- The chance to learn about what it takes to be a logistics professional and move freight around the world.
- A level 3 apprenticeship International Freight Forwarding Specialist qualification with support from a college/training provider, who will also provide learner support.
- All fees for training will be paid for.
- Pay at a rate above the national recommended hourly figure for apprentices. With a pay review after six months.
- Company benefits such as healthcare, exclusive discounts and freebies, quarterly team nights out and more.
- A mentor within the department to provide day-to-day support and guidance.
- Access to the Metro Training Team for initial induction and on-going training.
Upon the successful completion of the apprenticeship, achievement of the qualification and by showing the right attitude the apprentice will be given the opportunity to apply for a position within Metro.
What we're looking for
- An interest in all areas of transportation and logistics, sea, road, rail and air.
- Good verbal and written communication, to provide a professional image to customers and suppliers.
- Someone who can remain calm under pressure in a busy working environment.
- The ability to prioritise tasks, ensure accuracy, and deliver results with great attention to detail with a high sense of urgency.
- A positive attitude and the determination to develop good problem solving skills.
- The drive to succeed and want to make a contribution to the business.
- Ideally GCSE Grade 6 in both Mathematics and English, but we will consider Grade 5’s for the right candidate.
- Monday to Friday, 8:30 - 17:00
- 20 days holiday plus UK bank holidays (per 12 months)
Please send a CV and a covering letter to email@example.com.
Early application is recommended, we will interview once applications have been received and assessed. If we have a good candidate we will appoint.
Interviews will be arranged individually and the appointment will be made when we have found the right candidate.
Apply for Logistics Apprentice
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly