Horticulture and Landscaping Apprentice
Job title - Horticulture and Landscaping Apprentice
Salary - £9951 per annum
Contract status - Fixed-term for 2 years
Hours - Full-time, 36 hours per week (20% study time)
Apprenticeship framework/standard - Horticulture and Landscape Operative (Level 2)
About our apprenticeship scheme
We are looking for hard-working, motivated and enthusiastic people to join our apprenticeship scheme. Regardless of your age, previous experience or qualifications (although you must be at least 16 years of age and not in full-time education), we’re welcoming applications from those that show potential, determination and a drive to succeed. In return we can give you the opportunity to kick-start your career under the management of our skilled and experienced staff, whilst earning, learning and achieving nationally recognised qualifications at the same time.
About the role
The Council is seeking a caring, sympathetic and motivated person to join our bereavement team. The sensitivity of this service requires someone who is willing to respond fully to the needs of the bereaved.
Your role will encompass all aspects of cemeteries grounds maintenance, cutting grass using ‘ride on’ and pedestrian machinery together with some other grounds maintenance work including the maintenance of plants and shrubs, Children’s Memorial Gardens, hedge cutting, path maintenance, and weeding (including use of pesticides/herbicides).
Applicants should be aware of the sensitive nature of the working environment and that there is an expectation that all tasks will be performed to the highest standards possible. This is a physically demanding outdoors role, with works programmes continuing during inclement weather including rain and snowfall.
This would involve a four day week onsite at Kingston Cemetery and Crematorium, with one day a week study at college.
Please note, in order to qualify for apprenticeship funding and be considered for this post you must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a GCSE level C/equivalent in Maths and English and be able to present original qualification certificates - if you do not hold these qualifications/certificates you must be committed to complete these via functional skills assessments as part of the apprenticeship.
- Only apply for an apprenticeship unrelated to any qualifications they hold at the same or higher level than the apprenticeship they wish to apply for. The apprenticeship being applied for must be unrelated in subject and content from the qualification already held.
- Not be enrolled on another funded apprenticeship or another funded further education or higher education programme at the time you start your new apprenticeship.
Have the right to work and study in England and be one of the following:
- A citizen of a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) or have the right to abode in the UK and have been resident in the EEA for at least the previous three years on the first day of your apprenticeship.
- A non-EEA citizen with permission from the UK government to live in the UK, (not for educational purposes) and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least the previous three years before the start of learning.
Our apprenticeships are offered on a minimum contract duration of 12 months (some are longer depending on the level of apprenticeship you undertake), offer 23 days paid annual leave, access to our staff benefits (including discounts at local shops, restaurants and attractions), and a minimum starting salary of:
- £9951 per annum for level 2 apprenticeships (equivalent to 5 GCSE passes)
- £12,579 per annum for level 3 apprenticeships (equivalent to 2 A Level passes)
- £15,207 per annum for level 4 apprenticeships (equivalent to a HNC/Foundation Degree)
In addition there are further discounts available to apprentices and more information can be found at the Apprentice Extra website and Apprenticeship Connect website.
We’re extremely proud of our apprenticeship scheme and the achievements of our apprentices, many of whom have secured permanent employment with the Council and continue to excel in their careers.
There has never been a better time to undertake an apprenticeship! To register your interest please apply online by submitting your current CV and a short supporting statement outlining what skills, abilities and experience you can bring which makes you an ideal candidate for this role and our apprenticeship scheme. Please refer to the how you meet the criteria as outlined in the job profile when completing your supporting statement.
Job profile - click here to view/download
More information about apprenticeships can be found on the National Apprenticeship website.
Closing date for applications - Wednesday 12th June 2019
Interview date - To be confirmed