Business Support Apprentice (Communications)
Job title - Business Support Apprentice (Communications)
Salary - £9951 per annum for level 2 / £12,579 per annum for level 3
Contract status - Fixed-term for 12 months (level 2) / Fixed-term for 18 months (level 3)
Hours - Full-time, 36 hours per week (20% study time)
Apprenticeship framework/standard - Business and Administration Level 2 / Business and Administration Level 3 / Business Administrator Level 3
About our apprenticeship scheme
We are looking for hard-working, motivated and enthusiastic people to join our apprenticeship scheme. Regardless of your age, previous experience or qualifications (although you must be at least 16 years of age and not in full-time education), we’re welcoming applications from those that show potential, determination and a drive to succeed. In return we can give you the opportunity to kick-start your career under the management of our skilled and experienced staff, whilst earning, learning and achieving nationally recognised qualifications at the same time.
About the role
We have a new and exciting apprenticeship opportunity within our Communications and Engagement Team. In this role you will be responsible for providing business and administrative support to help transform how we tell Sutton’s story to existing residents, those thinking of moving to the borough and new audiences. You will provide support to all areas of responsibility across the new team, which includes:
- Consultation, engagement and participation activities
- Internal communications
- Leadership office
- Marketing and design
- Press & media relations
- Public affairs
- Strategic direction & external positioning
We are ambitious for our borough and want to ensure it continues to be a great place to live, work and raise a family. We have big plans for develop and improve our local economy, from the globally-recognisable London Cancer Hub to our exciting plans for Sutton town centre.
We brought our communications service back in-house from an external contract at the end of 2018. Since then we have been working with colleagues to develop a new team and way of working ready for the challenges ahead.
Our new ways of working consider with whom we are trying to communicate and engage, to inform when, where and how we do so. We are worrying less about the labels of ‘external’, ‘internal’, ‘press’ and ‘social’ and more about what we are doing to try and help improve the lives of residents.
We’re looking for someone with excellent communication skills, good IT skills, attention to detail, enthusiasm and an eagerness to learn. You will be interested in public relations, communications or marketing. You will demonstrate innovation and creativity as well as the ability to adapt to different ways of working and a commitment to your own personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the role. You must also have the commitment to complete the training and qualifications associated with the apprenticeship.
Please note, in order to qualify for apprenticeship funding you must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a GCSE level C/equivalent in Maths and English and be able to present original qualification certificates - if you do not hold these qualifications/certificates you must be committed to complete these via functional skills assessments as part of the apprenticeship.
- Only apply for an apprenticeship unrelated to any qualifications they hold at the same or higher level than the apprenticeship they wish to apply for. The apprenticeship being applied for must be unrelated in subject and content from the qualification already held.
- Not be enrolled on another funded apprenticeship or another funded further education or higher education programme at the time you start your new apprenticeship.
- Have the right to work and study in England and be one of the following:
- A citizen of a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) or have the right to abode in the UK and have been resident in the EEA for at least the previous three years on the first day of your apprenticeship.
- A non-EEA citizen with permission from the UK government to live in the UK, (not for educational purposes) and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least the previous three years before the start of learning.
Our apprenticeships are offered on a minimum contract duration of 12 months (some are longer depending on the level of apprenticeship you undertake), offer 23 days paid annual leave, access to our online staff benefits portal (including discounts at local and national shops, restaurants and attractions), and a minimum starting salary of:
- £9951 per annum for level 2 apprenticeships (equivalent to 5 GCSE passes)
- £12,579 per annum for level 3 apprenticeships (equivalent to 2 A Level passes)
We’re extremely proud of our apprenticeship scheme and the achievements of our apprentices, many of whom have secured permanent employment with the Council and continue to excel in their careers.
In addition there are further discounts available to apprentices and more information can be found at the Apprentice Extra website and Apprenticeship Connect website.
There has never been a better time to undertake an apprenticeship! To register your interest please apply online by submitting your current CV and a short supporting statement outlining what skills, abilities and experience you can bring which makes you an ideal candidate for this role and our apprenticeship scheme. Please ensure you refer to the advert and job profile in your supporting statement.
Job profile - click here to view/download
More information about apprenticeships can be found on the National Apprenticeship website.
Closing date for applications - Wednesday 19th June 2019
Interview date - To be confirmed