Apprentice Operations Clerk
As an Operations Clerk, your role will involve the day-to-day processing of delivery/release instructions, documentation and some customs operational activities. You will be responsible for your own work but also work within a team and will therefore have the additional responsibility of ensuring the success of the team.
The main responsibilities of the role are focused on ensuring all Deliveries / Releases are processed on arrival within the team on a priority basis to allow for goals to be achieved in a priority manner. This helps to ensure the smooth distribution of work throughout the day to the team and ensures the availability of any needs are utilised correctly.
Main roles and responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that legal requirements are met to enter goods to relevant customs formalities and understand different products for individual requirements. For example, the requirement for port health documents to be lodged.
- Understanding competent authority intervention, CVED, CED, Port Health
- Raise files within operating systems
- Nominate UCNs within port systems
- Lodge original B/L where applicable
- Contact NVOCC for charges
- Arrange for release of cargo to our order with NVOCC
- Understand global role within our process to ensure priorities within the process and workplace.
- Process entries for Free circulation
- Simplified declarations
- Checking all NVOCC / Line Charges have been paid to ensure Release / Delivery
- Speaking with hauliers to check availability
- Checking all rates to ensure coverage is made at best price possible
- Checking call overs- both internal and external
- Pre-booking of deliveries where possible
- Checking all arrivals and clearances for containers are booked to ensure they will be actioned on time.
- Writing up all files handled with financial information relating to all transactions to allow for daily billing on delivery date / release date.
- Processing purchase and sales ledger invoices.
The successful candidate will also be involved in all activities and communications related to the application for relevant authorisations, the declaration and the subsequent communications for the following types of procedures:
- Completing the Declaration for Free Circulation (Standard or Simplified and Supplementary Declaration), including calculating the Customs Value and Custom duties and all applicable taxes.
- Completing the required steps in the contact of Customs Warehousing.
- Collects the correct data elements to create and lodge the declaration for free circulation including the calculation of the customs value, duties and taxes by using the relevant IT System.
- Ensures the acceptance of the declaration with Customs administration and other relevant parties.
- Interprets and acts upon the notifications received from the customs administrations (e.g. request for additional information, no release)
- Applies the EU tariff and non-tariff measures to ensure a correct application of appropriate and correct duties or relief from duties.
About the employer
Situated at the very heart of the United Kingdom's largest container port of Felixstowe, Buckle Shipping has been established for over 36 years. They offer a bespoke HMRC Customs clearance facility. They are licensed and directly connected to all major UK ports through our main office in Felixstowe. These include Liverpool, Southampton, Thamesport, and Tilbury. They also offer Customs clearance facilities at all other major UK ports.
Unit 9 Haven Exchange,
Felixstowe Business Park,
- Computer Literate
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Motivation to learn
- Hard working
- It would be desirable for the successful candidate to hold GCSE, or equivalents, grades (A*-C) / (9-4) in English and Maths.
- However, if these have not been achieved, Key Training will provide support and up skill in these subjects through Functional Skills, which will be a requirement.
- If hard work has been shown throughout the Apprenticeship, there will be the opportunity to progress onto a full-time position within the company for the right candidate.
Training to be provided
- Level 3 in Business Administration
- Functional Skills in English and Maths (If required)
This apprenticeship programme will be delivered and completed in the workplace, meaning there is no required day release to college. Upon starting this apprenticeship programme, the successful candidate will be allocated a training consultant who will visit them in the workplace.
The apprentice will have regular contact from their training consultant and will be allocated time within their working hours to complete the work that is set for them as part of the apprenticeship programme.
Business and Administration
Apply for Apprentice Operations Clerk
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly