Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship (Social Change) - Strategic Development Assistant
From before they are born until they are into their twenties, we help disadvantaged children across the UK. We help them through fostering or adoption – and by intervening early to stop neglect and abuse. We make life better for children with disabilities. We influence policy and advocate for change. Our 7,000 staff and volunteers operate over 522 services, improving the lives of 301,000 children, teenagers, parents and carers every year. We succeed by doing what's right, doing what's needed, and doing what works for children.
We’re here to make sure any child who needs help, gets help. To do that, we need to help each other.
How? By creating a culture of mutual trust and respect. By putting our belief in diversity and equality into practice, every day. And by ensuring everyone gets the chance to progress and achieve great things.
When our people succeed, we succeed.
When we succeed, thousands of children’s lives change for the better.
You will work towards taking responsibility for people, projects, operations and/or services to deliver long-term organisational success and become professionally recognised in your ability to deliver impact.
Through engagement with high performing teams within Action for Children, you will build a deeper understanding of the unique governance and regulatory environment, of social impact and evaluation, fundraising, finance and project management.
You will study at Queen Mary University of London two days a week and work the remaining three days at Action for Children during university term time. Otherwise, you will be with Action for Children for the full working week.
Key tasks may include:
- Supporting teams with general coordination and business process activities
- Contributing to the development and improvement of our business processes and procedures
- Supporting the development of the organisational strategy, mission and values.
- Supporting governance arrangements within the organisation.
- Supporting learning, evaluation, knowledge management, capacity building initiatives of the organisation
- Supporting fundraising, communications and marketing projects, events and day-to-day activities
- Supporting Corporate Shared Services projects and day-to-day activities.
- Working closely with different teams to generate project development ideas.
- Working with the Digital Team to improve our reach via our social media platforms.
- Offering additional support to the team with any administrative or coordination tasks.
Key skills and experience required:
- Though experience of working within the not for profit sector is not required, you should have a keen interest in making a difference and contributing the vision of Action for Children.
- Ability to follow guidelines and instructions (verbal or written) to deliver results and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including an ability to interact and engage comfortably at all levels.
- A flexible, adaptable and proactive approach
- Ability to put into practice what has been learnt effectively – we will ensure you have the support to make this happen
- Sound prioritisation, time and task management skills ensuring accuracy and completeness in line with deadlines and across multiple tasks.
- Interest in the economic and political world.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong IT and digital communication skills including experience using MS Office, and channels such as Twitter and Facebook to reach a wider audience.
Positivity - You have a positive, enthusiastic and healthy approach to work.
Live the Values - You act as a role model for the organisational values.
Build Relationships -You build and maintain strong working relationships and communicate in an engaging manner.
Developing Expertise - You are passionate about enhancing knowledge, skills and behaviour.
We will encourage and support you to apply for any relevant positions at the end of your apprenticeship.
Things to consider
You will work at both our central London office and our Watford office as required during your placement rotations.
Action for Children, 3 The Boulevard, Ascot Road, Watford, WD18 8AG
There may be some travel throughout the UK to visit our services and regional offices and scope for home working where appropriate.
We are committed to safer recruitment practices to protect our service users, therefore all applicants are expected to have an understanding of and commitment to safeguarding best-practice.
Action for Children is passionate about promoting equality, valuing diversity and working inclusively. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons particularly people with Disabilities and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic applicants, as these groups are currently under-represented in our workforce.