- This is an exciting opportunity for an apprentice to achieve a BA degree in economics at the University of Kent whilst working within the Economic Regulation team at the CAA.
- Your apprenticeship will be fully funded by the CAA via the apprenticeship levy - meaning you don't have to pay any fees for your degree that sits within it.
- Our economics apprenticeship offers you a unique opportunity to work in aviation over the next four years whilst studying a degree in economics provided by the highly regarded economics department at the University of Kent.
- Full tuition and support from the University of Kent, including a week's residential session each year and regular contact with your course tutor
- Full support from a CAA mentor who will ensure a broad range and depth of projects to complement your coursework;
- Hands-on experience and training in different areas of the business to understand how the theory works in practice;
- Learning how airport, airline and air traffic control companies operate and conduct their business;
- Working with teams using behavioural economics and analysing competitive conditions in the aviation sector to understand consumer preferences and to identify ways to address market power and promote competition;
- Gaining additional skills in report writing, economic modelling, practical analysis of data, understanding consumer preferences and dealing with stakeholders.
- Highly competitive salary with the opportunity for pay progression.
- Annual leave entitlement starting at 28 days plus bank holidays, which will need to fit around the university schedule.
- CAA pension scheme and benefits scheme.
- CAA Affinity scheme providing discounts for a selection ofhigh street and online retailers
- We are committed to smarter working arrangements and will consider all applications
Being an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage and support applications from all backgrounds. If you have a disability or special need that requires adjustments, please let us know. Wherever possible, we offer flexible and variable working hours to help our people effectively manage all areas of their lives.
For more information please visit the following websites - https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/3740/professional-economist-higher-apprenticeship
Requirements and prospects
We are looking for candidates that can demonstrate the following:
- Good communication skills
- High level of numeracy
- Strong interest in economics
You must also share our core values:
You will have, or expect to achieve, a minimum of 3 A levels or BTEC's or other equivalent qualifications with at least one of them in a STEM subject - Science, Technology, Engineering or maths.
You should also have GCSE maths at Grade B/6 or above.
On successful completion of your apprenticeship, there may be an opportunity for you to apply for an internal job with the CAA.
Things to consider
- As part of this apprenticeship, it will include a 1 week residential with Kent Uni, this will be paid for by the CAA;
- In order to progress, you must be comfortable staying away for a week, travel and expenses will be covered
- You must be able to attend the assessment centre on 17th July 2019
Parental permission (if required)
From 1st April 2019 The National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £3.90 per hour. This applies to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training.