Regulatory Services Apprentice
Regulatory Services Apprentice
Salary - £15,207 - £16,207 per annum
Contract status - Fixed term for 2 years
Hours - Full-time, 36 hours per week (20% study time)
Apprenticeship framework/standard - Level 4 Regulatory Compliance Officer - more information here
About our apprenticeship scheme
We are looking for hard-working, motivated and enthusiastic people to join our apprenticeship scheme. Regardless of your age, previous experience or qualifications (although you must be at least 16 years of age and not in full-time education), we’re welcoming applications from those that show potential, determination and a drive to succeed. In return we can give you the opportunity to kick-start your career under the management of our skilled and experienced staff, whilst earning, learning and achieving nationally recognised qualifications at the same time.
About the role
We have a new and exciting apprenticeship opportunity within Regulatory Services in the Trading Standards team. In this role you will be responsible for assisting Trading Standards as they deal with service requests from the public and from businesses across the borough of Kingston and Sutton. You will learn how to tackle rogue trading and ensure that consumer goods are safe and that businesses operate fairly. You will assist by helping to inspect premises and investigate breaches of the legislation that the Trading Standards team enforces. You will undertake projects, make test purchases, provide legal advice and ensure accurate recording of information on our corporate databases and provide witness statements that can be used in court as evidence.
The successful candidate would ideally wish to make a career in Trading Standards by using their apprenticeship as a stepping stone to becoming a Trading Standards Practitioner and obtaining exemptions from Units 1 and 2 of part 1 of the Trading Standards Practitioner’s framework. A science GCSE or equivalent would be desirable.
Please click here for further details of the Trading Standards Practitioner framework and how it links to the Regulatory Compliance Officer apprenticeship
We’re looking for someone with excellent communication skills, good IT skills, attention to detail, who is enthusiastic with an eagerness to learn. Having a flexible approach to your working day and being able to problem solve is also essential.
Please note, in order to qualify for this apprenticeship and apprenticeship funding you must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a GCSE level C/equivalent in Maths and English and be able to present original qualification certificates - if you do not hold these qualifications/certificates you must be committed to complete these via functional skills assessments as part of the apprenticeship.
- Due to the eligibility criteria for this apprenticeship, we can only accept applications from those who do not already hold qualifications at the same or higher level, in this area of work. The apprenticeship being applied for must be unrelated in subject and content from the qualification already held.
- Not be enrolled on another funded apprenticeship or another funded further education or higher education programme at the time you start your new apprenticeship.
- Have the right to work and study in England and be one of the following:
- A citizen of a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) or have the right to abode in the UK and have been resident in the EEA for at least the previous three years on the first day of your apprenticeship.
- A non-EEA citizen with permission from the UK government to live in the UK, (not for educational purposes) and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least the previous three years before the start of learning.
Our apprenticeships are offered on a minimum contract duration of 12 months (some are longer depending on the level of apprenticeship you undertake), offer 23 days paid annual leave, access to our online staff benefits portal (including discounts at local and national shops, restaurants and attractions), and a minimum starting salary of:
- £9951 per annum for level 2 apprenticeships (equivalent to 5 GCSE passes)
- £12,579 per annum for level 3 apprenticeships (equivalent to 2 A Level passes)
- £15,207 per annum for level 4 apprenticeships (equivalent to a HNC/Foundation Degree)
We’re extremely proud of our apprenticeship scheme and the achievements of our apprentices, many of whom have secured permanent employment with the Council and continue to excel in their careers.
In addition there are further discounts available to apprentices and more information can be found at the Apprentice Extra website and Apprenticeship Connect website.
There has never been a better time to undertake an apprenticeship! To register your interest please apply online by submitting your current CV and a short supporting statement outlining what skills, abilities and experience you can bring which makes you an ideal candidate for this role and our apprenticeship scheme.
Please refer to the job profile when completing your supporting statement.
Job profile - click here to view/download.
More information about apprenticeships can be found on the National Apprenticeship website.
Closing date for applications - Wednesday 24th July 2019
Interview date - To be confirmed
Kingston and Sutton Councils are Disability Confident Employers.