IT Helpdesk Technician (Apprenticeship)
St Paul’s Catholic College is a highly-successful secondary school and Sixth Form in Burgess Hill, West Sussex. The school has a strong reputation for innovative e-learning, with a modern campus and an award-winning one-to-one device scheme for students.
We are seeking to appoint an IT Helpdesk Technician (Apprentice) to assist with the administration, maintenance and future development of school’s IT infrastructure. The role will primarily involve providing high-quality, first-line support to the school’s students, staff and parents.
St Paul’s is consistently in the top 10% of schools in the country for exam results and is committed to excellence. Our dedication to ‘life-long learning’ makes St Paul’s an excellent apprenticeship provider, keen to provide stretch and challenge that will develop the candidate professionally and personally.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, highly-motivated and strive for excellence within the department. The candidate will need exemplary communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work under pressure. The candidate will be rewarded with excellent in-house training on a broad range of systems, skills and disciplines.
Duties include maintaining an energetic, enthusiastic and proactive approach to:
Support staff, students and parents
- Regularly checking the Helpdesk system (Freshdesk) throughout the day for newly raised tickets and acting as the first responder.
- Resolving hardware and software support issues as quickly and efficiently as possible, and maintaining detailed, regular communication with the stakeholder and rest of the team.
- Carrying out repairs, troubleshooting and appropriate diagnostics to help resolve technical issues quickly and efficiently, minimising inconvenience to stakeholders.
- Providing high-quality hardware and software support on a wide range of devices and infrastructure.
- Creating software images, re-imaging, or otherwise configuring, hardware for use by stakeholders, and keeping systems up-to-date through appropriate updates and patches.
- Exercising good judgement about priorities which may change on an hourly or daily basis.
- Supporting staff and parents over the telephone.
- Liaising with external suppliers and support providers when required.
- Install, support and train users in a wide range of hardware and software applications.
- Creating log-in credentials and managing user permissions for newly joining staff, students and parents in Active Directory and SharePoint, including SIMS provisioning and consolidation (where applicable).
- Creating accounts for Parents’ Gateway app using Azure Active Directory and communicating login credentials to parents.
- Supporting parents with app-related issues relating to access, passwords and logging in.
- Maintaining best practice with user passwords and security.
- Logging repairs in detail using the provided system(s) including taking photographs and asking students to complete a Statement of Incident.
- Diligently monitoring the repairs system on a regular basis, tracking progress, providing families and students with updates on repairs, and updating the Line Manager with the progress of calls.
- Carrying out on-site repairing on devices where appropriate.
- Regularly adding updates and information to calls to account for their progress.
- Liaising with repairers to ensure the timely turn-around of any repair jobs.
Inventory and stock management
- Maintaining and updating the inventory daily to ensure it remains an accurate representation of the school’s hardware, including age and condition.
- Taking pride in the maintenance of an accurate, up-to-date inventory management system, and encouraging/reminding others to maintain the same level of updates.
- Performing regular stock takes to ensure records are accurate and that stock is re-ordered in a timely fashion.
Servers, networking and Office 365
- Developing knowledge of and confidence in the school’s hardware infrastructure including the physical and virtual servers.
- Assisting with the regular termly server maintenance routines and diligently recording maintenance on provided checklists.
- Developing an in-depth knowledge of Office 365 administration including security, maintenance and configuration.
- Developing an in-depth knowledge of the school’s wired and wireless networking infrastructure, assisting with troubleshooting, and maintenance.
- Developing knowledge of network and systems access, security, filtering and controls; assist with monitoring of safe internet and device use.
- Develop knowledge of the school’s backup solution including restoring files, folders and systems in the event of data loss.
- Maintain a current awareness of developments, trends and practices in the field of ICT, networking, server administration and laptop technology.
Communication with stakeholders
- Applying regular updates to the digital displays around the school, and maintaining a high-quality, professional digital brand.
- Applying regular updates to the school’s websites including news and information, paying attention to detail, to ensure accurate, well-written information.
For the right candidate, there will be many opportunities to develop knowledge and skills in a wide range of other disciplines including server, network and database management, web development, and app design.