Junior Data Scientist
About the role
We have exciting opportunities available for Junior Data Scientists to join our Analysis and Insights Team. Working alongside our growing team of cutting-edge Data Scientists, you will have the opportunity to work on a varied and broad spectrum of data-driven projects and services.
UCAS is an independent charity, supporting access to Higher Education. UCAS Media is its commercial arm, where funds raised are gift-aided back to the charity to support its mission. Our Analysis and Insights business unit straddles both areas – which means our data scientists get to work on a varied and broad spectrum of data-driven projects and services. You could be publishing insights about widening participation, supporting and developing the delivery of multi-million pound marketing services, or creating the next big product that could revolutionise how customers interact with data.
In this programme – working alongside our growing team of cutting-edge Data Scientists – we’ll give you a structured development plan which will see you contributing from day one as you train.
About Data Science at UCAS
A career in data science at UCAS is different. We’re using data for both charitable, and commercial benefit – ensuring our business thrives, and helping change the lives of young people as they make decisions about their future.
To achieve this, we’re using advanced data engineering, machine learning, algorithmic matching, and emerging technologies, with open source tools. Our work unlocks insight which supports universities to develop their strategies, informs national debate on higher education at the highest levels of Government, and is at the heart of a whole suite of marketing services. Bottom line, it’s important work.
We run regular Data Science Masterclasses here in the UCAS offices, featuring speakers from our team, plus other great organisations, such as Rolls Royce, BT, and McLaren. Our next meetups are already planned, as we continue to drive sharing, innovation, and improvement in the data science industry.
What you'll get
- Dedicated support and training in analytical programming.
- A distinctive programme of work within the Analysis and Insights team, where you will be involved in solving real problems from day one, and will gain the full range of skills to progress your career.
- The support of being paired with one of our experienced data scientists, and regular meetings with the Director of Analysis and Insights, and other senior members of the team.
- The opportunity to present your best work to UCAS' Executive team, and receive support and advice on the next step in your data science career.
Who you are
We’re looking for forward-thinking, innovative, and dynamic data scientists, who can contribute to our continued growth and success. You’ll be ambitious, looking for challenge, and to work at pace. In return, we’ll offer exciting work opportunities, a great culture, and benefits that reward your high performance.
To be considered, you should be able to show that you have:
- exceptional levels of numerate, analytical and logical thinking.
- drive to find things out that really matter from data.
- potential to learn and apply analytical programming at the highest level.
- personal values and attributes for being a leading data scientist.
- a commercial mindset and excellent interpersonal skills.
Data scientists come from a variety of backgrounds, but you are most likely to have very strong quantitative skills, reflected in high grades in mathematics or a physical science at A level (or equivalent). You might also have some computer programming experience. Being able to combine your ideas with the ability to create results through structured code is key to these roles.