Apprentice Application Developer (Bromley) with Bank Of America Merrill Lynch
An Application Developer will estimate, analyse, design, code, test and implement low-level development tasks in order to provide software solutions that enable a computer application or suite of applications to meet a defined business or technical need. An Application Developer is also expected to support Testing in remediation of code related defects and Release Management in support of code deployment activities.
Application developers typically work as part of a feature team working on one or more initiatives at any given time, and are expected to pro-actively communicate progress, undertake reviews, raise technical risks and issues and work collaboratively with other developers to enable resolution. All escalations are expected to be directed to the team lead assigned to the project.
Application developers have an in-depth understanding of one or more technology languages/ platforms and approved tool kits and development environments; as well as adhere to modern Agile Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodologies within regular sprint cycles.
You’ll be joining an exciting, dynamic and supportive team either in Global Treasury Services Technology or Global Markets Operations Technology, using modern software development tools and practices, giving you access to ongoing training and opportunities for career development in our Bromley office.
There are numerous applications managed in region that are utilised across EMEA, APAC and AMRS for numerous lines of business throughout Global Markets, Prime Brokerage, Global Custody , Global Wholesale Banking, Global Markets , Credit and Derivatives/FX.
The team are accountable for the end-to-end delivery of technology solutions which are:
-Implemented across platforms managed within the EMEA region and utilized globally across EMEA, APAC and AMRS.
- Supporting the regional business both across platforms managed within region as well as managed by other technology partners across the globe
As an application developer, your main responsibilities will involve:
- Working in team environments made up of both local and remote (virtual) teammates
- Participate in each development cycle to work on the detailed (low level) design, impact assessment, coding and testing of technical solution to meet a documented set of requirements before pushing changes to Production
- Escalate to team lead where further clarity needed on design and where risks and/or issues highlighted during development cycle
- Code low level tasks according to Bank and Industry standards and best practice
- Provide regular updates to the team and team lead to evidence progress against plan for assigned deliverables
- Develop and maintain new and existing tests within the departments testing framework and practices
You will also have the opportunity to develop experience and understanding of Agile and Lean SDLC methodologies and working practices in addition to automated testing and deployment tools.
As a Digital Technology Apprentice with BPP, you will complete the Digital Technology Solutions Level 6 Degree Apprenticeship. Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship you will achieve the BSc (Hons) in Digital and Technology Solutions.
The completion of the qualification will take place in the workplace via an online platform with tutor support.
- 5 GCSEs A*-C (4-9) including Maths and English or equivalent qualifications,
- Minimum of 104 UCAS points (B,C,C) from top 3 A Levels
- Good education background
- Have had previous exposure and a keen interest in programming
- Flexibility to work some weekends and bank holidays as required
- Problem solver
- Good organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy. Pro-active, adaptable and results driven
- Calm under pressure
- Enthusiastic learner who looks to be prime and extend existing technical skills
- Keeps up-to-date with Industry and bank-wide innovations to increase existing knowledge and establish new ways of increasing developer efficiency and effectiveness
- Ability to work as part of a team and on your own
- Able to interact professionally with a diverse group at all levels
Please ensure that you apply for the position as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. The closing date is a rough guideline as to when an advert will close. The advert may close before the given closing date if the employer has filled the position(s).