Apprentice Application Developer (GMRT, London) with Bank Of America Merrill Lynch
3 days left
- 24 months+
An Application Developer will estimate, analyse, design, code, test and implement low-level development tasks in order to provide software solutions that enable a computer application or suite of applications to meet a defined business or technical need. An Application Developer is also expected to support Testing in remediation of code related defects and Release Management in support of code deployment activities.
Application developers typically work as part of a project team working on one or more Initiatives at any given time, and are expected to pro-actively communicate progress, undertake reviews, raise technical risks and issues and work collaboratively with other developers to enable resolution. All escalations are expected to be directed to the Lead Developer assigned to the project.
Application developers have an in-depth understanding of one or more technology languages/ platforms and approved tool kits; as well as adhere to the established Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodology in accordance with team and departmental agreed standards and best practice.
You’ll be joining a dynamic and supportive team in Global Markets and Research Technology, giving you access to ongoing training and opportunities for career development in our London office.
Duties and activities of the role will include the below (amongst other aspects):
- Application support for the Global Markets business.
- The regional team will interact with the teams in APAC and AMRS to drive operation consistency across the globe.
- Support is carried out by a global team which applies the follow the sun support model. This model allows our global teams to hand off to each other ensuring there is 24/7 support provided to all of our clients.
- Support multiple applications globally, in terms of the platforms being stable and available for our business to function.
- Development of industry leading applications that support the Front Office Trading function. This includes client order management and execution, either received manually or electronically, and/or single orders or part of portfolios.
- Conducting Business analysis, to ensure that the technology delivered to our user community addresses the business requirements and is fit for purpose.
- Global Information security is also an area which is of increasing importance and is an integral part of the role
- Electronification of flows and artificial intelligence
These will vary depending on which team the successful candidate is assigned to but will include:
- Building relationships with teams across the Front Office trading community, application teams and other support areas
- Developing communications skills, both oral and written
- Learning and understanding the business flows and contributing to making them more efficient
- Coding leading edge applications to the Banks standards
- Resolution of both function and technical problems and business critical issues, working with business analysis teams and developers.
- Assisting in the translation of solutions into technical requirements
Client Relationship Management:
- Clearly understand both internal and external client business requirements
- Contributing to continuous improvement
- Pro-actively supporting knowledge sharing
- Responsible for tracking change requests and high severity incidents in accordance with defined service levels
Essential Skills you will develop:
- Application Support experience
- Knowledge of Global Markets and the mainstream products in use.
- Build technical knowledge: Unix/Linux; Database (Sybase/SQL/Oracle), Perl, Shell scripting, Infrastructure.
- Experience in Monitoring & Alerting, and Job Scheduling systems.
- Exposure to Market Data Technologies such as Tibco RV, Reuters, RMDS
- Confidence when dealing with internal user base (Sales & Trading)
- Client relationship/service management experience
- ITIL understanding
As a Digital Technology Apprentice with BPP, you will complete the Digital Technology Solutions Level 6 Degree Apprenticeship. Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship you will achieve the BSc (Hons) in Digital and Technology Solutions.
The completion of the qualification will take place in the workplace via an online platform with tutor support.
- 5 GCSEs A*-C (4-9) including Maths and English or equivalent qualifications,
- Minimum of 104 UCAS points (B,C,C) from top 3 A Levels
- Good education background
- Problem solving skills both technical and business related
- Proactive, able to multi-task and work on own initiative
- The ability to work in a high pressure environment
- Good time management skills
- Understanding the needs, requirements and the pressures the users are under
- Able to prioritise continually to ensure that service levels are adhered to
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
Please ensure that you apply for the position as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. The closing date is a rough guideline as to when an advert will close. The advert may close before the given closing date if the employer has filled the position(s).