Aircraft Maintenance and Support (AMA)
Our Aircraft Maintenance and Support Apprenticeship will equip you with the knowledge and skills to work on industry leading fast jet aircraft.
What does the apprenticeship include?
This four-year Aircraft Maintenance and Support apprenticeship is available within Military Air & Information business where your will be trained to maintain aircraft whilst giving you the underpinning knowledge of a European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) Cat B Aircraft Maintenance Certifying Engineer.
The function is responsible for the delivery of trained personnel into a number of UK and overseas contracts, supporting some of the world's most advanced military fast jets.
What is the salary?
Competitive starting salary of £11,951 with increases throughout the scheme with a salary on completion of over £26k.
What qualifications will I get?
A typical apprenticeship for this opportunity comprises of spending 2 years at the Aircraft Maintenance Academy (AMA) on Humberside Airport where you will develop your English, Maths and Information Technology skills whilst gaining knowledge of the maintenance of advanced military aircraft.
This will lead to the award of EASA Cat. B modules and the associated accredited qualifications required to meet the Foundation and Development Phase of the Aircraft Maintenance Certifying Engineer Apprenticeship.
You will then spend 2 years at various BAE Systems and RAF locations gaining hands-on experience of maintaining military aircraft whilst completing a Level 4 Diploma.
Your time at the academy will be split between classroom learning, workshop training and on-Aircraft modules, during which time you can expect to carry out real life and simulated maintenance tasks on aircraft and state of the art virtual learning aids. Accommodation will be available within walking distance of the Academy.
At the end of the apprenticeship, you'll have had a good mix of learning experiences to ensure you have the skills that will support you for a future in aircraft maintenance and have achieved the professional status of Engineering Technician (Eng Tech).
What are the entry requirements?
- Five GCSEs at Grade B or above or grade 5 and above for the new GCSE grading system (or equivalent) which must include Maths, English and a Science (preferably Physics)
- Ability to demonstrate a level of hands on mechanical/avionic aptitude
- Honest, hard-working and have a real determination with a commitment to learning in order to achieve success and participate within the business
- Excellent team-working and communication skills with the ability to adapt and co-operate to conditions that can change quickly
- Professional and confident, pro-active attitude towards work with a willingness to accept responsibility
- Eligibility to work in the UK and be able to successfully achieve security clearance
- In addition, applicants will be expected to be medically fit as deemed necessary to perform the role (mainly hearing and colour perception)
- Be able to work on ITAR controlled Aircraft
What are the future prospects?
At the end of the apprenticeship, you'll have had a good mix of learning experiences to ensure you develop the skills that will support you in your future career. We encourage and support you to realise your potential. You’ll have the opportunity to learn from colleagues who are experts in their field, and gain insights that can only come from real world experience.
Following successful completion of your apprenticeship, you may be offered a role Overseas or in the UK (with Saudi Arabia having the biggest demand for Aircraft Maintenance Engineers). We anticipate very few roles to be available in the UK; this scheme is aimed at those wanting to work overseas.
The majority of roles will be overseas and may involve further training following your Apprenticeship.