Data and Technology Graduate Scheme 2021
EDF Energy is a core part of the EDF Group, one of the largest energy companies in Europe with key business operations in the UK, France, Italy and Belgium. We're the UK's largest producer of low-carbon electricity, the biggest supplier of electricity by volume in Great Britain, the largest supplier to British businesses and we employ more than 13,000 people. We operate nuclear, coal and gas power stations, wind farms, and combined heat & power plants. We have a focus on safe, dependable energy generation and an ethos of service excellence. We are playing a leading role in new nuclear build in the UK to secure a bright future for the combined business and its employees.
A career that will deliver change. Together, we can help Britain achieve net zero.
As a graduate, you'll be looking to make an impact - using your skills, knowledge and passion to achieve great things. So how about taking on the challenge of beating climate change?
Being Britain's biggest generator of low carbon electricity, EDF are not only talking about climate change, we're doing something about it. We're committed to reducing carbon emissions to zero, generating power from clean sources like wind, nuclear and solar, leading the charge for electric vehicles and investing in new carbon cutting technologies.
We proudly work together to champion a low carbon lifestyle and collaborate widely in our search for innovations to achieve more. Build you future with us. Share our vision. Together we'll help Britain achieve net zero.
It is a hugely exciting time to join our company as we transition to a low carbon and Smart future energy system. Data and Technology will be at the heart of this transition and you'll get the chance to use your skills and develop new ones in helping to build this future. Placements will be within our Customers, Wholesale Market and Renewables business areas which have collaborated to deliver an inclusive programme with inspiring opportunities.
We're looking for talented graduates witha passion for using data, analytics, and software engineering skills, as well as influencing skills and commercial drive to solve complex prblems to achieve our ambition - to be the best at solving customers' energy needs. You'll have the opportunity to experience working across a wide range of areas while building specialist skills in cutting edge data techniques, software engineering and technologies.
The Training Programme:
On the Data & Technology Scheme, you'll participate in a curated programme designed to expose you to a series of tools and techniques to develop you as a data scientist and/or software engineer, all while gaining exposure and understanding across the energy business.
Following a week-long induction with graduates from all of our schemes at our state of the art facility at Cannington Court (Somerset) in September 2021, you'll spend 6 months in four different assignments during this 2-year programme across the two role disciplines and across our business.
Across all of your placements you'll have the opportunity to work in a truly agile and collaborative environment alongside Data Engineers, Data Scientists, DevOps Engineers, Software Engineers, Business Analysts, Architects and Project Managers.
You'll hone your skills and gain valuable exposure to the following tools, technologies and workflows:
- Exposure to the full lifecycle from ideation of high value data products to delivery. This will help you to learn to define problem statements, determining success criteria, determining the most appropriate technicl approaches to a solution.
- Ingesting data, preparing data, wranging data, building data engineering pipelines and creating and visualising data assets using industry leading technologies such as Tableau, Python, Pandas, Seaborn, R, ggplot, matplotlib etc.
- Applying suitable machine learning and AI algorithms using SKLearn, TensorFlow, etc.
- Use of trending BigData engineering technologies such as Hadoop and Spark
- Using AWS cloud platform and technologies
- Applying CI/CD, Infrastructure as Code, builld automation and DevOps/DevSecOps culture
- Full stack engineering through mobile, web, API and back-office
- Opportunity to work on exciting BigData & Machnie Learning projects
- Documenting findings and presenting results to subject matter experts and senior stakeholders
You'll apply these skills and learn by completing placements across a number of areas in our business which could include:
- Our Wholesale Markets Optimisation department which manages the gas and electricity trading for our customers and our generation assets
- The Data team within Sales & Marketing analyses and models customer data in the residential and business market, enriched with data from outher sources
- Our Digital team manages the web and app service for our three million residential customers
- The Data and Controls team, within Customer OPerations, plays a crucial technical role inthe production and delivery of data to internal and external stakeholders to drive Customer OPerations' business activities and fulfil regulatory requirements
- Our innovation accelorator Blue Lab is where we work on new and emerging topics such as connected homes, solar, electric vehicles, blockchain and batteries
Visit our Data & Tech Graduate page to find out more about placements, training and development during the scheme.
At the end of the graduate programme we'll support you in deciding how you want to progress your career within EDF Energy, and you'll head to that area for your final placement.
A year after finishing the scheme, you can expect to be operating as a fully-fledged data scientist or software engineer, specifying and leading pieces of analysis where you put your skills to use in identifying and delivering value for our customers and our business. As you develop and deepen your technical expertise you can build links with our extensive R&D; team in the UK and France as well as industry partners.
- 2:1 Bachelor's Degree or a 2:2 Postgraduate Degree (obtained or expected) in any discipline, although STEM or highly numerate degrees preferred
- A passion for data, manipulating and interrogating it to derive meaning and value
- Strong interest in technology and staying abreast with the latest tools and techniques
- Ability to adapt quickly to new challenges and thrive in agile work environments
- Flexibility to relocate
Compensation & Benefits:
- Starting salary of GBP30,000 and regular pay reviews
- 25 days' annual leave
- Pension scheme
- Annual performance bonus
- Flexible benefits package
- Wellbeing and support services
- Relocation support for moving between attachments and into a new role after the programme.
At EDF, everyone's welcome. It's a powerful statement of our intent to make sure we're about the people who work with us - a rich and unique mix of backgrounds and experiences that's vital to shaping a strong and fresh-thinking organisation like ours. Whoever you are and wherever you come from, we'll embrace the difference you bring and give you opportunities to thrive and succeed.
Build your future. Share our vision. Together, we can help Britain achieve net zero...... click apply for full job details