Private Client Tax Trainee Sept 2021 (School Leaver) - Level 7 Apprentice
Smith & Williamson Private Client Tax Trainee Sept 2021 (School Leaver) - Level 7 Apprentice
Department: Private Client Tax
At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. Our trainee schemes are structured training programmes combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management to delivering presentations.
Our Private Client Tax Services team help individuals from all walks of life with their tax issues. With over 6,000 private tax clients and 1,500 trusts, our client base is incredibly diverse. Today, we provide services to high-net-worth individuals, non-domiciled individuals, landed estates, trusts and professional practices.
What will I be doing?
Our Private Client Tax Services team can deal with compliance obligations and reporting requirements while also advising on domestic and international issues through our Nexia International network. The team also work closely with other practices within Smith & Williamson such as the investment managers, financial planners and pension’s specialists which complement and enhance the advice we can offer.
As part of our Private Client Tax Team you will combine hands on practical experience which could be advising on tax efficient strategies or helping clients with financial planning whilst studying.
Responsibilities of the Trainee role are as follows:
- Preparation of accounts and tax returns for basic trusts
- Preparation of Repayment Claim Forms and basic Tax Returns for individuals
- Dealing with correspondence from clients/HMRC and other third parties
- Advising clients of their forthcoming tax liabilities including writing to clients and 3rd parties where necessary
- Assisting with billing clients in a timely manner for the work we have carried out on their behalf
- Dealing with day to day administration matters in relation to clients
- Organisation of workload to ensure an efficient and timely service
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
Progression within this team is fast, with responsibility from an early stage. By the second year you'll be taking on a more senior role with smaller clients and helping to supervise the new intake of trainees and as your experience grows, you may have opportunities to experience other assignments such as control reviews and due diligence projects.
During your training contract you will study towards the joint Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT) and Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualifications. Additionally, you will achieve the Level 7 Apprenticeship qualification, developing essential skills sought out in the professional services sector.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards the joint ATT/CTA qualifications within the Level 7 apprenticeship
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- 112 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English Language and Maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade 5
Here’s what our trainees have to say about our Private Client Tax trainee programme…
“Days are rarely the same within Private Client Tax, but most days include reviewing a tax return and accompanying letter, calls with a partner to discuss details of clients and a team call to discuss any tax developments or changes to internal procedures.”
“We are uniquely positioned to provide holistic advice to our clients with financial planners, business advisers and investment managers all in-house. Working with these teams has also helped me build up my skillset and broaden my awareness of different factors affecting our clients.”
“Tax combines problem-solving, technical skills and strategic thinking with developing strong and rewarding relationships, both with your clients and colleagues. With frequent updates to tax practice through legislation, case law and updated HMRC guidance, there is always something interesting going on.”