Trainee Chartered Accountant (BOS) Sept 2021 (School Leaver) – Level 7 Apprentice
Role: Trainee Chartered Accountant (BOS) Sept 2021 (School Leaver) – Level 7 Apprentice
Department: Assurance & Business Services (Business Outsourcing Services)
At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. Our graduate trainee schemes are structured training programmes combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management to delivering presentations.
We provide accountancy services to clients across a number of industries, focussing on small owner-managed businesses, whether they are corporates, partnerships, sole trade businesses or trusts.
What will I be doing?
As part of our Assurance & Business Services team, you would be working with clients and their finance teams or bookkeepers, helping them with their year-end accounts. This means providing services, advice and solutions that really make a difference. You will also have exposure to working with partners gaining invaluable experience and building your confidence with senior members of staff.
You will also build valuable client experience, developing the knowledge and skills needed to be a trusted business adviser. Alongside your work, you will receive first-class professional training as you study for the Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) qualification, which will enable you to gain a full understanding of the technical aspects of audit, accountancy and additional financial advisory services.
Responsibilities of the Trainee role could include:
- Working as part of a team to undertake a variety of accountancy tasks
- Developing an understanding of our clients and their businesses
- Understanding from your manager the tasks allocated and objectives to be achieved
- Keeping your manager fully informed of any issues and problems, ensuring the work is completed to a level agreed with the manager and recording clearly and concisely the work carried out
- Becoming familiar with our accounting software
- Resolving queries of an accountancy nature
- Prioritising tasks whilst monitoring time against budget
- Opportunity to take on extracurricular responsibilities within the department e.g. tech champion or social team member
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
Progression within this team is fast, with responsibility from an early stage. By the second year, you will be taking on a more senior role and helping to supervise the new intake of trainees. As your experience grows, you may have opportunities to experience other ad hoc assignments that our clients request our help with. You will also receive internal training from the professional services learning and development team.
Additionally, you will achieve the Level 7 Apprenticeship qualification, developing essential skills sought out in the professional services sector.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards the Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) qualification within the Level 7 apprenticeship
- Be able to deliver a first-class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- 112 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English Language and Maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade 5
Here’s what our trainees have to say about our BOS trainee programme…
“When working in a team, the most important thing is to learn from each other’s knowledge and experience. A huge part of our job role includes on the job training, and this is probably the most valuable training we could get.”
“S&W is a mid-tier firm which has some fantastic positives attached to it. Being a mid-tier firm means that we are a well-known brand and firm in the market and therefore our clients and other professionals often know who we are. In addition to this, our client work is of such a size that we are able to gain a very broad exposure to accounting profession.”
“Being able to work at a client’s office enables you to experience different business cultures, and operational approaches. Learning these whilst on the job can really help you understand where you would like to place yourself in the future.”