Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship (MCT) - Pfizer
Pfizer is looking to recruit a Laboratory Scientist. You will help to carry out both routine and complex scientific experiments and perform a variety of technical and operational support functions across the organisation that may directly impact the research and development of new products.
- Salary £16,560 per annum
- Holiday Entitlement 25.5 days plus bank holidays
- Qualifications Required A-Levels equalling 112 UCAS points, including Chemistry at grade C or above plus an additional Science or Mathematics or equivalent level 3 qualifications (e.g. BTEC) will also be considered (with a minimum requirement of 112 UCAS points) Location Sandwich, Kent
- Working Hours Monday to Thursday, 9am – 5.25pm. Fridays, 9am – 4.05pm
- Duration 60 months
- Start Date 30th August 2021
- Interview Date TBC – March/April
- Closing Date for applications 10th March 2021
The Laboratory Scientist Apprentice will carry out both routine and complex scientific experiments and perform a variety of technical support functions across the organisation that may directly impact the manufacturing and release of a pharmaceutical product, taking responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the work undertaken.
In any context working safety and ethically is paramount and many companies operate under highly regulated conditions because of the need to control the quality and safety of products, for example medicines. Laboratory Scientists will be expected to work both individually and as part of a laboratory team. They will be able to work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the work that is undertaken. They will be proactive in finding solutions to problems and identifying areas for improving the business.
At the end of the Apprenticeship, the Apprentice will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of underlying scientific principles in laboratory-based experimentation and implement new processes according to the literature or input from colleagues
- Demonstrate and explain the principles of laboratory techniques and scientific experimentation to contribute to the development of scientific technical projects
- Develop and apply a theoretical knowledge of the advanced science and technology required to progress in the job role and relevant area of specialism
- Demonstrate working knowledge of project management procedures and the ability to incorporate these into the scientific work environment working with team members
- Understand the internal and external regulatory environment pertinent to the sector and the sponsoring organisation and comply with regulations including compliance with business rules pertaining to record keeping, traceability & confidentiality.
- Understand the business environment in which the company operates including personal role within the organisation, ethical practice and codes of conduct
- Identify and understand the requirements of internal or external customers and recommend the appropriate workflows, improvements or scientific solutions
- Prepare for and perform laboratory tasks using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods of relevance to the activities of the laboratory
- Work safely within a laboratory environment, maintaining excellent housekeeping whilst following appropriate safety, environment and risk management systems
- Promote and ensure the application of quality standards relevant to the workplace
- Work autonomously to analyse, interpret and evaluate scientific data and present the results of laboratory work and problem solving clearly and concisely in written and oral form
- Lead continuous performance improvement within the scientific and technical environment
- Use creative thinking and problem solving to challenge assumptions, innovate, make new proposals and build on existing ideas
- Plan and prioritise tasks, review and evaluate progress against objectives and investigate alternative scenarios
- Communicate effectively using a full range of skills: speaking to a scientific and non-scientific audience, active listening, professional writing, professional body language, scientific presentation
- Demonstrate reliability, integrity and respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters, including appropriate use of social media and information systems
- Work autonomously and interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team.
- Understand the impact of work on others, especially where related to diversity and equality
- Manage time effectively, being able to plan and complete work to schedule
- Able to handle change and respond to change management processes
- Take responsibility for personal development, demonstrating commitment to learning and self-improvement.
You’re the future. Your ambition, talents, ideas and unique way of looking at the world will help us drive innovation in every part of our business.
We need people with a hugely diverse range of talents. Love science? Join us in our drug development labs, or engineering teams. Want to work on the business side? Get stuck into an Apprenticeship to launch a career in anything from digital marketing to paralegal services.
Pfizer’s apprenticeship scheme, run in partnership with Cogent Skills, offers the best of both worlds. You’ll work with world-leaders in your field, from researchers to business gurus. You’ll study towards a nationally recognised academic or professional qualification. And all the time, you’ll be earning a highly competitive salary.
Looking for an alternative to college or university, where you can earn while you learn, and build experience with a global leader? Find it at Pfizer.
To be eligible for this position you will need;
- 5 GCSE's at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including mathematics and English
- Will have, or are predicted, A-Levels equalling 112 UCAS points, including Chemistry at grade C or above plus an additional Science or Mathematics
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications (e.g. BTEC) will also be considered (with a minimum requirement of 112 UCAS points)
- Sound knowledge of life sciences and mathematics
- Application of theoretical knowledge in the laboratory
- Rational, innovative and creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to learn and work with new technologies
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively within high performing teams as well as independently
- Good report writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to apply learning from prior experience to new situations and problems
- Ability to evaluate information from a broad range of sources
- Communicates with clarity, purpose and efficiently
- Enthusiastic attitude and approach to teamwork with positive influencing and listening skills
- High energy level; hard working; makes things happen
- Demonstrates sound judgement when making decisions
- Self-driven and able to set personal goals which are realistic and challenging
- Change agile, flexible and resilient
TRAINING TO BE DELIVERED
Level 6 Laboratory Scientist Standard.
Training to be provided will be day release with University of Greenwich. This will take place through a combination of:
- 1-to-1 tutorials
You will gain transferable core skills and knowledge, as well as skills specific to the working practices of Pfizer
The knowledge qualification will be a BSc (Hons) in Pharmaceutical Sciences
Training will be part of contracted hours making up the working week.
Work based and knowledge competencies to be delivered in line with the Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship Standard guidelines
On successful completion of the apprenticeship, candidates will be able to apply for further positions.
THINGS TO CONSIDER
The apprentice must be able to demonstrate the required attitudes, behaviours and interpersonal skills associated with the professional workplace. The apprentice must be willing to commit an amount of personal time to study. Please ensure you check out travel options to be able to commute to the workplace.
You will be entitled to company benefits including;
25.5 Days Holiday entitlement (+ Bank Holidays) Opt in pension scheme Student discount card (NUS) Employee assistance programme Dedicated mentor for the duration of your apprenticeship