Apprenticeship Level 4: Programme and Corporate Assurance (Internal Audit)
HS2 Apprentices join us in September 2021, where they will have a full Induction into HS2 and meet all Apprentices in their cohort. All our apprentices attend a learning week every 6 months, which is designed to develop the core skills, and behaviours required in any business. Not only is every apprentice supported by their day to day team, but every apprentice is supported by the Talent team, where regular team meetings are set up weekly, 1:1’s are provided on a monthly basis, and every apprentice is assigned a mentor for their durations as well as a team buddy.
The role of Programme and Corporate Assurance is to provide an objective assurance and consulting activity across all of the HS2 programme and corporate controls, to add value and improve an organisation's operations. Programme and Corporate Assurance helps the organisation accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
The Apprenticeship Programme will span over a period of two years, which will involve working at HS2 and studying with a training provider. You’ll also gain skills and experience that will set you up for an incredibly rewarding career.
The Safety & Assurance Directorate sets the strategic direction, policy and standards for HS2 in relation to Health, Safety, Security, Environmental Management, Quality and Assurance. As well as providing assurance to the Executive and Board, leading major strategic projects and offering expert advice to the business, an important part of its remit is to develop a ‘Safe at heart’ culture throughout the supply chain which drives health and safety performance beyond current industry best practice.
The directorate is organised around six functional areas:
• Quality, Health, Safety and Environment Systems and Controls
• Safety Culture Development and Communications
• Corporate Health, Safety and Environment
• Security and Resilience
• Programme and Corporate Assurance
• Directorate Business Management
About the role:
- Support the lead auditor with the delivery of individual audits with a view to identification of risks and associated controls, contributing to the suggestions of improvements
- Work with subject matter experts and assurance providers to support the development of targeted audit/assurance scope that focuses on key risks and provides the appropriate level of outcome
- Support the reporting on audit/assurance findings to the lead auditor and Senior Corporate Assurance Manager, agreeing corrective action with auditees and monitoring close out of findings, to support the development, implementation, maintenance and improvement of the Integrated Management System
- Conduct audits/assurance activity in line with the agreed HS2 audit/assurance programme, following HS2 policy and procedure (and best practice)
- Deliver hands-on support to corporate functions in working through the Assurance lifecycle, working with external Assurance providers, such as the Independent Assurance Panel and DfT where appropriate, to ensure that issues are captured, tracked and closed out
- Provide input and ideas to the Continual Improvement of Policies and Procedures
- Undertake spot-check/audits on corporate control activities (including procurement, commercial, finance and people controls) to report on compliance issues, making recommendations for improvement or escalation
- Work as part of a flexible and multi-disciplinary assurance function and undertake a variety of assurance and audit activities across all areas of the HS2 corporate controls
- Attendance to training provider sessions
- Complete all work aligned to the apprenticeship programme
- Completion of the apprenticeship programme
Actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- Prioritisation: The ability to organise your workload and meet agreed deadlines
- Analytical: The ability to analyse numerical data
- Communication: The ability to communicate with stakeholders at various levels within an organisation including listening and presenting
- Building Relationships: The ability to build good working relationships with your colleagues and contacts across the organisation and outside with external partners
- Teamwork: The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- IT: Knowledge of and experience of using MS Office including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Type of experience:
- To join us on an Apprenticeship Programme, you’ll need to have achieved or expect to achieve 5 GCSEs at grade 4 and above, including English and Maths, or equivalent
- The post-holder is expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with HS2 company values
Our Apprenticeship graduate programme salaries:
London locations (inside M25):
- Level3/Year1 – basic salary of £15,539 plus 10% flexible allowance = £17,092.90
- Level4/Year1 – basic salary of £16,389 plus 10% flexible allowance = £18,027.90
- Level3/Year1 – basic salary of £14,523 plus 10% flexible allowance = £15,975.30
- Level4/Year1 – basic salary of £15,373 plus 10% flexible allowance = £16,910.30
Does HS2 offer sponsorship, if I do not have the Right to Work in the UK?
To be eligible to apply to the HS2 Apprenticeship scheme for our September 2021 in-take, at the time of application you will already need to have the unrestricted Right to Work in the UK (i.e. not requiring sponsorship). HS2 do not hold a license, so are not able to sponsor any application.
We appreciate the Right to Work question can be complex to understand, particularly with recent changes around Brexit, if you unsure of your Right to Work status, please email us at HS2Jobs@hs2.org.uk and we are happy to help.
Timelines for the campaign?
The Applications window closes on 1st March 2021. The selection process will include a mix of online assessments taking place throughout March and April. As it currently stands there are no face-to-face assessments planned due the ongoing Covid19 pandemic. The final outcome of your application will be available in May. The start date of the HS2 Apprenticeship Programme 2021 is Monday 27 September 2021.
Before contacting the HS2 team, please kindly review the Apprentice FAQ’s on our website at https://www.hs2.org.uk/careers/future-talent/