Apprenticeship Level 4: Software Developer (IT)
2 days left
- 24 months+
HS2 Apprentices join us in September 2021, where they will have a full Induction into HS2 and meet all Apprentices in their cohort. All our apprentices attend a learning week every 6 months, which is designed to develop the core skills, and behaviours required in any business. Not only is every apprentice supported by their day to day team, but every apprentice is supported by the Talent team, where regular team meetings are set up weekly, 1:1’s are provided on a monthly basis, and every apprentice is assigned a mentor for their durations as well as a team buddy.
As an IT Apprentice, you will build and test simple, high-quality code across front end, logic and database layers. You will typically be working as part of a larger team, in which you will have responsibility for some of the straightforward elements of the overall project. You will need to be able to interpret design documentation and specifications. The customer requirements will typically be defined and agreed by more experienced or specialist members of the team, such as a business analyst or technical architect.
The Apprenticeship Programme will span over a period of two years, which will involve working at HS2 and studying at College.
The Directorate led by the Chief Financial Officer contains many of the support functions which enable the efficient and economic operation of HS2 Ltd including ICT. ICT Systems Development: Software and application development and support capability.
About the role:
- Create simple data models and software designs to effectively communicate understanding of the program, following best practices and standards
- Can understand and create basic analysis artefacts, such as user cases and/or user stories
- Operate at all stages of the software development lifecycle, with increasing breadth and depth over time with initial focus on build and test
- Can interpret and follow:
- software designs and functional/technical specifications
- company defined ‘coding standards’ or industry good practice for coding
- testing frameworks and methodologies
- company, team or client approaches to continuous integration, version and source control
- Respond to the business environment and business issues related to software development
- Attendance to training provider sessions
- Complete all work aligned to the apprenticeship programme
- Completion of the apprenticeship programme
Actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- Communication Skills: The ability to communicate with stakeholders at various levels within an organisation
- Interpersonal and relationship skills: The ability to build good working relationships with colleagues and contacts across the organisation and outside with external partners
- Prioritisation Skills: The ability to organise your workload and meet agreed deadlines to deliver activities/projects in a timely manner and ensuring quality
- Ability to follow process: Working to a process to achieve an outcome and/or identify improvements to existing processes
- Problem Solving skills: Identify problems, generate and form ideas to resolve issues
- Analytical skills: The ability to analyse complex information and identify patterns and trends
- IT: Knowledge of and experience of using MS Office including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Type of experience:
- To join us on an Apprenticeship Programme, you’ll need to have achieved or expect to achieve 5 GCSEs at grade 4 minimum, including English and Maths, or equivalent
- The post-holder is always expected to behave in a manner consistent with HS2 company values
Our Apprenticeship graduate programme salaries:
London locations (inside M25):
- Level3/Year1 – basic salary of £15,539 plus 10% flexible allowance = £17,092.90
- Level4/Year1 – basic salary of £16,389 plus 10% flexible allowance = £18,027.90
- Level3/Year1 – basic salary of £14,523 plus 10% flexible allowance = £15,975.30
- Level4/Year1 – basic salary of £15,373 plus 10% flexible allowance = £16,910.30
Does HS2 offer sponsorship, if I do not have the Right to Work in the UK?
To be eligible to apply to the HS2 Apprenticeship scheme for our September 2021 in-take, at the time of application you will already need to have the unrestricted Right to Work in the UK (i.e. not requiring sponsorship). HS2 do not hold a license, so are not able to sponsor any application.
We appreciate the Right to Work question can be complex to understand, particularly with recent changes around Brexit, if you unsure of your Right to Work status, please email us at HS2Jobs@hs2.org.uk and we are happy to help.
Timelines for the campaign?
The Applications window closes on 1st March 2021. The selection process will include a mix of online assessments taking place throughout March and April. As it currently stands there are no face-to-face assessments planned due the ongoing Covid19 pandemic. The final outcome of your application will be available in May. The start date of the HS2 Apprenticeship Programme 2021 is Monday 27 September 2021.
Before contacting the HS2 team, please kindly review the Apprentice FAQ’s on our website at https://www.hs2.org.uk/careers/future-talent/