Business Services & Outsourcing Apprentice
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The Business Services and Outsourcing (BS&O) team are essential to meeting our clients' changing needs. As well as delivering long-term, sustainable value to businesses by providing solutions such as accounting, payroll and compliance services, they also play a key role in helping our teams around the world collaborate. The team helps international clients manage their accounting needs by drawing on BDO’s expertise and investing in processes, systems and people to solve a huge range of challenges. The graduate programme offers the opportunity to develop in one of the industry’s most exciting and varied roles. If you can show initiative and the potential for exceptional problem-solving skills, you’ll gain a unique insight into how business works across the world.
We’ll help you succeed
The BS&O Apprenticeship Programme is your opportunity to combine work experience with achieving your professional qualifications. We’ll provide the training in skills, behaviours and professional knowledge you’ll need not just to pass your exams, but also to become an exceptional BDO advisor. Our pass results are often up to 10% above the national average. This is a unique opportunity to qualify in a working environment with a network of exceptional colleagues who will be invested in helping you achieve your full potential.
Programme & Qualification
BDO offer the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) qualification on the Level 4 apprenticeship programme. The AAT qualification offers practical, real-world experience to meet the demands of finance roles across all industries, at all levels and provides you with all the skills you need. The duration of this programme is around 24 months. Following the successful completion of the AAT, you will be given the opportunity to study towards the ACCA (Association of Certified Chartered Accountants) qualification, becoming a fully qualified chartered certified accountant within 4-5 years.
Depending on the focus of your local team responsibilities should include:
• Maintain records for our clients using various accounting software packages including Xero, Quickbooks and Sage 50
• Use cloud accounting tools to process transactions, prepare and post journals, update ledgers, perform bank reconciliation and cash book analysis as required to complete monthly reporting processes
• Prepare both management and statutory accounts for clients under the supervision of more senior members of the team
• Undertake financial close procedures eg reconciliation of inter-company balances, preparation of journals and schedules
•Produce statutory accounts under both UK GAAP and IFRS for review by managers including working on consolidations and cash flows
• Applies understanding of the client to ensure the transactions are recorded appropriately, and make commercial sense, and highlight unusual transactions to senior members of the team for consideration.
• Develop a basic knowledge of the rules and regulations of doing business in the UK included reporting requirements, tax requirements (employment, corporate and VAT), filing requirements from a company secretarial perspective and general commercial awareness
• Work as part of a team to provide ad-hoc accounting assistance and ensure clients receive excellent service
• Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
When you join us
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed. We’re looking for someone with:
• Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
• A* to C in Maths and English at GCSE/Scottish Standards or equivalent (non-UK qualifications also considered)
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
• 25 days’ holiday;
• access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
• life assurance cover;
• and income protection insurance.