Apprentice Building Services Engineer (HVAC)
Apprentice Building Services Engineer (HVAC)
Organisation: Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
Salary: £11,446 rising incrementally to £17,796 in the fourth year
Band: UKRI- App
Contract Type: Fixed Term (4 years)
Hours: Full time
Closing Date: 30/05/2021
Interview Date: 10/06/2021
The Science and Technology Facilities Council offer a number of apprenticeships. The unique nature of the work undertaken at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory contributes to an interesting enjoyable and rewarding period of training in one of the world’s leading scientific and engineering research organizations.
As a member of ISIS ancillary plant section, the post holder will proactively support the ancillary plant team to ensure that ISIS is available in line with the machine availability program. The ancillary plant team needs to be agile and able to adapt to the ever changing needs of our diverse customer base therefore it is expected that the post holder will demonstrate a flexible and adaptable approach.
All members of the ancillary plant section will, from time to time, be expected to lead or participate (appropriate to Band level) in ISIS projects that may be outside their normal remit.
This apprenticeship role will support the undertaking of efficient and effective day to day maintenance activities relating to the mechanical services (Cooling, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning and process Water Services) at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory on ISIS. The role reports to the ancillary plant manager and will learn to carry out maintenance tasks to ensure that the ISIS HVAC services provide an efficient and continuous service to support the ISIS scientific program.
The post holder will also take an active role in the installation of new/replacement mechanical services and systems across the estate.
An STFC apprentice will undertake 4 years paid training, supervised by the Research Council. The salary is competitive and the apprenticeship is an ideal start to a career in Building Services. If successful in this position you will:
- Complete a prescribed program of training to be conducted within the Rutherford Appleton Laboratories ISIS machine.
- Become proficient in the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of modern mechanical building services plant (HVAC) and the associated distribution systems.
- Obtain a high level of competence in pipe fitting and assembly skills including the use of hand tools and marking out.
- Obtain an intermediate level of competence in welding, fabrication, brazing, soldering and other jointing processes.
- Gain the skills to confidently and competently undertake fault diagnosis on a range of service equipment and systems, such as fresh and foul water, environmental control, process water systems and ventilation, process control, air-conditioning and refrigeration.
- Attend Southampton City College on a day release basis leading to recognized NVQ level three qualifications over a four year period.
- Carry out maintenance tasks and duties at the Laboratory as directed by the ancillary plant section leader and managers, these activities will be directly relevant to the apprenticeships’ key competencies and skills and will assist the wider department in delivering their core maintenance service commitments.
- As an STFC Apprentice you will communicate to staff across STFC and at all levels. You will work as part of a team as well as working on your own. You will also have contact throughout your apprenticeship with college tutors and visitors to site.
- Champion the ISIS ancillary plant in a positive manner.
- Deliver a high level of customer service.
- Attend appropriate additional training to support the role and service delivery.
Personal Skills and Attributes
We are looking for individuals who have or will have achieved 5 GCSE passes at Grade C/4 or above including Maths, English and a Science by September 2021. You must be self-motivated, enthusiastic about learning, hardworking and demonstrate an interest in building services.
When submitting your CV and covering letter you should address yourself to this person specification, demonstrating by example how you meet the criteria contained within. Please also include any other information, which you feel is of relevance to your application.
- Achieved or predicted to achieve 5 GCSE passes at Grade C/4 or above including Maths, English and a Science by September 2021
- Or equivalent qualifications
- Knowledge and Experience
- Interest in science, engineering and technology
- Ability to demonstrate some basic technical engineering knowledge and skill
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to work using own initiative
- Ability to follow instructions including technical instructions in English
- Self-motivated, willing to undertake the work required with the training provider and in the workplace
- Willing to travel to and attend Southampton City College on a day release basis leading to a recognized NVQ level three qualifications over a four year period
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Good communication skills
- Good problem solving skills
How to apply
When submitting your CV and covering letter you should refer to the person specification, demonstrating by example how you meet the criteria contained within. Please also include any other information, which you feel is of relevance to your application.