Installation Electrician Apprentice
Installation Electrician Apprentice
Organisation: Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
Salary: £11,446 rising incrementally to £17,796 in the fourth year
Band: UKRI- App
Contract Type: Fixed Term (4 years)
Hours: Full time
Closing Date: 30/05/2021
Interview Date: 09/06/2021
The Science and Technology Facilities Council offer a number of apprenticeships. The unique nature of the work undertaken at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory contributes to an interesting enjoyable and rewarding period of training in one of the world’s leading scientific and engineering research organizations.
As a member of the ISIS Electrical Services Group, the post holder will work across the Electrical Maintenance and Electrical Installation sections. This will ensure that the post holder will be exposed to a vast variety of electrical work ranging from new installation project work of complex advanced electrical systems to the maintenance of the facilities electrical infrastructure.
Due to the diverse nature of the facility the post holder will be expected to demonstrate a flexible and adaptable approach to ensure that the ISIS scientific program is fully supported.
An STFC apprentice will undertake 4 years paid training, supervised by the Research Council. The salary is competitive, and the apprenticeship is an ideal start to a career in the Electrical Engineering Sector. If successful, in this position you will:
- Complete a prescribed program of training to be conducted at ISIS, within STFC.
- Become proficient in the maintenance of complex electrical LV systems and associated electrical equipment.
- Obtain a high level of competence in Electrical Installation tasks whilst working on a range of advanced electrical projects.
- Obtain a high level of competence in the testing and inspection of low voltage electrical circuits.
- Gain the skills to confidently and competently undertake fault diagnosis on a range of low voltage electrical equipment and systems.
- Attend college on a day release basis leading to the industry recognised EAL level 3 Electrotechnical Qualification over a four year period.
- At the end of the four year training period you will sit the AM2 electrical trade assessment as well as the 18th Edition Wiring Regulations.
- As an STFC Apprentice you will communicate with staff across STFC at all levels. You will work as part of a team as well as working on your own. You will also have contact throughout your apprenticeship with college tutors and visitors to site.
- Champion the ISIS Electrical Services Group in a positive manner.
- Deliver a high level of customer service.
- Attend appropriate additional training to support the role and service delivery.
Personal Skills and Attributes
We are looking for individuals who have or will have achieved 5 GCSE passes at Grade C/4 or above including Maths, English and a Science/Technology subject. You must be self-motivated, enthusiastic about learning and hard working.
When submitting your CV and covering letter you should address yourself to this person specification, demonstrating by example how you meet the criteria contained within. Please also include any other information, which you feel is of relevance to your application.
You will be required to attend and complete the required nationally recognised training courses. This will involve attendance at local educational establishment, on a day release basis.
- Achieved or predicted to achieve 5 GCSE passes at Grade C/4 or above including Maths, English and a Science by September 2021
- Or equivalent qualifications
Knowledge and Experience
- Interest in science, engineering and technology
- Ability to demonstrate some basic technical electrical knowledge and skill
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to work using own initiative
- Ability to follow instructions including technical instructions in English
- Self-motivated, willing to undertake the work required with the training provider and in the workplace
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Good communication skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Demonstrates a high level of interest and enthusiasm about the role
How to apply
When submitting your CV and covering letter you should refer to the person specification, demonstrating by example how you meet the criteria contained within. Please also include any other information, which you feel is of relevance to your application.