Software Engineer Degree Apprentice
About Parker Hannifin
Parker Hannifin is a Fortune 250 global leader in motion and control technologies based in
Cleveland, Ohio US. For 100 years the company has engineered the success of its customers in a wide range of diversified industrial and aerospace markets. Parker has been operating for 47 years in the UK.
To meet its customers’ needs in motion and control, Parker provides the broadest range of products available from any single supplier. This is supported by expertise in nine major technologies: hydraulics, pneumatics, electromechanical, filtration, process control, fluid and gas handling, sealing and shielding, climate control and aerospace.
Parker Kittiwake specializes in the development and sale of products including used oil analysis equipment, bunker fuel testing equipment, wear debris analysis equipment and many other items for condition monitoring. We supply a range of Instrumentation and high Technology sensors used for In-Process Measurement in petro-chemical, land based and marine/offshore industry applications.
Under this four year programme you’ll learn about engineering through hands-on experience in our Research and Development department with academic training provided by the University of Chichester. You'll graduate with a Bachelor of Engineering degree.
The degree has been designed so you can develop a strong base of engineering knowledge.
About the Job
Degree Apprentice working in a dedicated team creating new products. Key areas will include electronics hardware, firmware and software on technology driven products.
An opportunity to interact with like-minded individuals of differing engineering disciplines on products and play a key role in new product development. Envisaged projects include input to digital hardware for wireless communications. With typical projects taking between 6 and 18 months – plus others running in parallel, this role offers varied experiences with many challenges to expand and learn from.
1. Software development of applications for PC and mobile devices
2. Internet of Things (IoT) development work.
3. Analogue and Digital Electronics hardware design.
4. Firmware development and programming of microprocessors – typically in C.
5. Support/improvement of current product range including engineering changes (sustaining products).
1. Detail design of New Product and Technologies as part of NPD/NPD.
2. Development of applications to run on PCs and mobile devices.
3. NPD / VOC project team member.
4. Assisting transition from Research into Development, including prototyping.
5. Assisting senior team members with electronic hardware and firmware design
6. Responsible for appropriate NPD/NPI manufacturing documentation.
7. Compliance with Legislation Relevant to Products (CE compliance of products).
8. FMEA creation and maintenance in relation to new products for design robustness.
9. Maintain legacy products including updates and improvements to maintain end extend product life span.
10. Continuous improvements with regard to quality & efficiency of product offering.
Decision Making Authority
1. Ownership and responsibility of designs/projects.
2. Charge of project budget and timescales.
Planning and Organisation
Responsible for working pro-actively within the NPD/NPI project team and will take responsibility for the planning and successful delivery of designs or tasks to support the implementation of new products and into the Condition Monitoring Business Unit Manufacturing department.
1. Co-ordinating teams and other involved staff.
2. Contribution toward general project planning and budgeting
3. Time management for delivery of tasks and designs.
To apply, you will need to be on track for, or have achieved, at least 3 A Levels (or equivalent) of grade C or above, or a BTEC vocational qualification. Relevant work experience will also be taken into account in assessing applications.
1. Scientific or engineering Background.
2. Team player with strong communication skills
3. Embedded coding experience in a development environment
4. Analogue and Digital circuit design, Schematic capture and PCB creation
5. Familiar with PLC’s and HMI’s. RS485/Modbus/CAN.
6. Customer facing experience.
What it a Degree Apprenticeship?
Degree Apprenticeships are a government initiative that allows learners to combine studying for an undergraduate degree qualification with a genuine job.
- You will not pay any university tuition fees as your employer covers the costs.
- You'll have a paid job while studying part time in working hours.
- Study modules at university and put your learning into practice in the workplace.
- You’ll gain real-life work experience and essential life skills.
- You’ll achieve the same qualification as those who take a traditional full time undergraduate degree route.
About the University of Chichester
We are internationally recognised as a beacon of good practice for high-quality student-centred education.
We don't do gimmicks but we do provide our students with life enhancing experiences. That's why we've been named one of top ten universities in the UK for student experience by the 2018 Time Higher Education Student Experience Survey.
It's also why that for over a decade, through the National Student Survey, our student community has consistently rated us between 3 and 6 percentage points ahead of the sector.
As Professor Jane Longmore our Vice-Chancellor commented: "We are justifiably proud to have a reputation for excellent teaching that is intellectually stimulating and which takes place in a community of learning. For this reason we are delighted that the results of the 2017 NSS see us ranked in the top 10 per cent of the sector for 'the teaching on my course' and 'learning community'."
In 2017 our overall satisfaction was 87 per cent, three per cent above the national average, and as a result we are ranked inside the top 40 of all higher education providers in the country by the Times Higher Education Supplement.