Cyber Security Degree Apprenticeship 2021
During your apprenticeship you’ll be looking to make an impact – using your skills, knowledge and passion to achieve great things. So how about taking on the challenge of beating climate change?
Being Britain’s biggest generator of low carbon electricity, EDF are not only talking about climate change, we’re doing something about it. We’re committed to reducing carbon emissions to zero, generating power from clean sources like wind, nuclear and solar, leading the charge for electric vehicles and investing in new carbon cutting technologies.
We proudly work together to champion a low carbon lifestyle and collaborate widely in our search for innovations to achieve more. Build your future with us. Together we’ll help Britain achieve net zero.
The programme is 3-year’s in duration, plus up to 6 months for end point assessment. You will join our Enterprise Information Security Team in Gloucester and study for a Cyber Security Degree, taught by Gloucestershire College’s cyber experts and UWE Bristol lecturers.
By the end of the scheme you’ll have a full BSc (Hons) degree and will have gained valuable work-based training and experience, whilst developing professional skills and behaviours.
The Training Programme
During your apprenticeship you’ll develop your skills within Information Security, such as: building networks and digital systems, writing programs, analysing malware, identifying threats, undertaking risk assessments, designing secure systems and managing intrusion responses.
You’ll get plenty of support along the way. We’ll create a professional development plan with you and your assessor to ensure that all the required components of your training are completed and demonstrated in a final portfolio of work-based projects.
You’ll also be backed by your EDF mentor, line manager and buddy throughout the apprenticeship.
To be successful in the role, you will need to have:
- Two “A” levels or similar in STEM subjects
- Passion for cyber security, for example current threats and vulnerabilities
- Willingness to attend University and study in your own time to achieve the degree
- It is a requirement of this role that the post-holder either holds or can obtain and maintain Security Check (SC) clearance.
- Hands-on IT experience, such as Linux command line, network configuration, scripting and/or computer programming
- Hands-on cyber security for example:
- Completion of free online training such as Hack the Box or WebGoat
- Use of Kali Linux and associated tools
- Able to travel within the UK (primarily Southern England)
In return, you will receive excellent benefits, including:
- £17,821 a year (starting salary) with annual pay increases
- Help towards travel costs
- Generous pension scheme
- 25 days’ paid holiday
- Flexible benefits
Once you’ve completed the apprenticeship, you’ll have a BSc (Hons) Cyber Security Technical Professional Degree from the EDF (UK)’s preferred supplier as well as experience with EDF (UK). Alongside this, you’ll work towards gaining your accreditation from the Chartered Institute of Information Security Professionals. That means you’ll be in the best possible position to continue your career as a professionally qualified cyber security analyst.
At EDF, everyone’s welcome. It’s a powerful statement of our intent to make sure we’re about the people who work with us – a rich and unique mix of backgrounds and experiences that’s vital to shaping a strong and fresh-thinking organisation like ours. Whoever you are and wherever you come from, we’ll embrace the difference you bring and give you opportunities to thrive and succeed.