Journalism Apprenticeship Fast Track
Start Date: January 2022
Scheme duration: 2 years
Locations: Glasgow, Cardiff and England (Cambridge, Channel Islands: Jersey or Guernsey, Norwich, Nottingham, Hull, London, Newcastle upon Tyne, Salford, Oxford, Southampton, Tunbridge Wells, Plymouth, Bristol, Birmingham and Leeds)
What will I do as part of the scheme?
The Fast Track Journalism Apprenticeship is for people from all backgrounds and walks of life who are curious about the world and hungry to tell the stories happening around them. If university is not for you this is your chance to get first class journalism training with the biggest broadcasting organisation in the world.
On this scheme you’ll get two years mix of study and learning on the job leading to an Apprenticeship and the industry recognised NCTJ Diploma in Journalism.
You’ll be based in one of our newsrooms around the country and will work alongside BBC teams to learn how to create and deliver quality news content for multiple platforms including online, digital, radio and television. You could be finding, sourcing and securing suitable guests and contributors; carrying out in-depth research across a range of media stories; compiling information and writing briefs (summary documents) for your team; finding stories for diverse audiences; assisting with interviews or filming and editing packages. Two of our apprentice places are with BBC Sport providing the opportunity to specialise in sports journalism.
The scheme takes 2 years to complete, after which time you should have the skills and training to take on a Journalism Researcher role at the BBC.
Who are you?
We are more interested in your potential than previous experience or training. The top things for us are natural inquisitiveness, storytelling ability, originality and creativity. In terms of qualifications, you need to have English and Maths at GCSE grade 4/C or above (England/NI/Wales) or National 5s grade C or above (Scotland) or equivalent.
- Have an intense curiosity about people and about what’s going on in the world
- Be a motivated self-starter willing to use your initiative to get things done
- Be brimming with creativity and ideas
- Be flexible, adaptable and resilient due to the pace of work and learning process
- Be an imaginative storyteller who loves producing content on different platforms including social media
- Have a passion for writing
- Be 18 or over by the time the scheme starts
If you are inquisitive, creative and want to tell the stories happening around you, we’d like to hear from you.
If you have a degree or the NCTJ diploma in Journalism and want to train as a Journalist at the BBC you should consider the Journalism Apprenticeship Scheme - Advanced instead.
We are unable to accept your application if you do not have the legal right to work in the UK.
What are we offering?
- Competitive starting salary £14,400 pa.(£19,082 if your apprenticeship is in London), followed by an annual increase
- 25 days holiday a year with an option to buy or sell days to suit you. As well as national bank holidays, you’ll also get an extra day-off between Christmas and New Year
- First-rate training throughout the scheme led by specialists and senior BBC journalists
- A mentor to support and guide you during your training
- A defined contributions pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more
- You will complete a short online application which will include some written and video questions around your interest in journalism and what you can bring to the apprenticeship
- If we like what we see, you will be invited to complete the second stage of the online application process
- If you are successful at this stage you will then be asked to attend an Assessment Day
Due to the volume of applications it is a long process, and it could be up to three months until you hear from us about the final outcome of your application.
We are a diversity champion and we promote a good working environment for all existing and potential staff ensuring equal treatment for all of our employees. We have formed a partnership with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site. All of our vacancies are also listed on VERCIDA.