Production Apprenticeship Fast Track Wales
Start Date: January 2022
Scheme Duration: 18 months
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Typical roles following the scheme: Runner, Junior Researcher, Production Management Assistant, Content Assistant; Costume runner, Grip assistant
What to expect on your apprenticeship
During the scheme, you will get hands on training in exciting production areas whilst studying towards a Level 3 in Creative and Digital Media, which is delivered by the learning provider Sgil Cymru.
This year, the Wales Production apprenticeship scheme is offering placements in a variety of departments including:
- TV Drama
- TV Factual Entertainment and Music
- National Orchestra of Wales
- BBC Wales Sport
- Radio Wales
- Radio Cymru
- Education & Public Engagement
For most of our placements, Welsh language is not necessary and you can apply for these placements via the ‘Apply Now – Wales Production’.
However for the Radio Cymru placement, Welsh language is required. To apply for this placement, you must complete a separate application via 'Apply Now for Radio Cymru Welsh Language only'.
You will have the opportunity to select your preferred department when you apply however you will still be considered for all areas.
If you want to find out more about job roles within our industry, particularly for TV Drama and Factual teams, please take a look at this: ScreenSkills
Select the pathways below for more details on each apprenticeship:
TV Factual Entertainment and Music
BBC National Orchestra of Wales
BBC Wales Sport
Education & Public Engagement
What we look for
- We are not looking at qualifications- there is no academic entry requirement. We are focused on you having a passion and curiosity, whether that be for TV, Radio, Online/Digital and be motivated to learn the production process from start to finish.
- In your application, we want to hear about your hobbies, personal interests, skills or even work experience you may have, which has inspired you to take this next step!
- Do as much research as possible about our roles and the content we make. There is lots of resources out there to find out more about what we do.
- Be a great team player – on this scheme, you will be working on real programmes with our production teams, learning and gaining experience every day. Working in a professional environment you may be faced with some challenges along the way!
- Be flexible and adaptable due to the pace of work, learning and production demands – working at the BBC isn’t always a Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 job.
Due to health and safety considerations, we cannot accept applications from individuals under the age of 18 at the time of the apprenticeship. There is no upper age limit.
This scheme is aimed at non graduates. If you already have a degree we would encourage you to search our other vacancies for entry level roles.
What are we offering?
- A starting salary of £14, 400 per year (pro-rated), followed by an annual increase .
- Level 3 Creative and Digital Media apprenticeship delivered by an experienced and established training provider - Sgil Cymru.
- 25 days holiday a year. As well as national bank holidays, you’ll also get an extra day-off between Christmas and New Year.
- Industry training delivered by the BBC Academy from specialists and senior BBC and freelance production and technical staff.
- You will complete an application form which will ask you why you want to be on the Production Apprenticeship scheme.
- After the closing date, your application will be reviewed and if it demonstrates your passion for joining the scheme, you will be invited to complete the next stage. This stage we will ask you to answer multiple questions which are relevant to the scheme. This will help us get to know you better.
- If you are invited to the next stage, you will be asked to attend an Assessment Day.
This Apprenticeship programme is part financed by the European Social Fund through the Welsh Government.
We are a diversity champion and we promote a good working environment for all existing and potential staff ensuring equal treatment for all of our employees. We have formed a partnership with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site. All of our vacancies are also listed on VERCIDA.