Engineering Apprenticeship - Welding & Fabrication
Bucher Municipal Ltd (previously Johnston Sweepers Ltd) is one of the world's leading manufacturers of street cleansing equipment. Our products include road sweepers, sewer and drainage cleaners and winter maintenance (salt spreaders). In Dorking, we design and manufacture the Truck Mounted Sweeper range and the runway sweepers.
Bucher Municipal want to invest in your future. This apprenticeship will develop the skillset required to produce high quality, metal components and become a fully qualified Welder and Sheet Metal Fabricator. Apprentices are very important for the future of the company as we anticipate that some will take up key roles within the company in the future.
The component manufacturing department's responsibility is to cut, fold and weld parts and major fabrications in mild and stainless steel.
You will be taught to:-
- Read and fully understand engineering drawings
- Weld to a high commercial standard using both MIG and TIG processes
- Work in the Laser Cell, Welding, Stores and Toolroom to gain experience in all areas associated with sheet metal
- Pressure and leak test fabrications
- Deliver high quality parts for painting and assembly
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Good organisations skills
- A team player
- GCSE or equivalent in English (Grade 4 or above) essential
- GCSE or equivalent in Mathematics (Grade 4 or above) essential
- GCSE or equivalent in ICT (Grade 4 or above) desirable
Many of our apprentices have gone on to develop their careers with us through further education, some specialising and others moving into supervisory activities.
Apprentices are a key part of our business and we look to maintain the skills learnt during the apprenticeship and to develop these further in future career paths within the organisation.