Level 6 Digital & Technology Solutions Degree Apprentice (Network Engineer)
7 days left
- 24 months+
Science and Technology Facilities Council
Salary: £16,358 rising incrementally to £21,879 per annum in final year of apprenticeship
Hours: Full time
Contract Type: Fixed Term (4 years)
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington
Closing date: 4th June 2021
Interview date: w/c 28th June 2021
About the Hartree Centre:
At the Hartree Centre we want to see UK businesses outperform their global competitors. We want to grow the economy, create skilled jobs and train people to excel. We're making all this happen and more by helping UK industry to be at the forefront of technical innovation with the use of the latest Digital, High Performance Computing (HPC), Big Data and Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies.
We have a technically exciting computing environment, encompassing a wide range of hardware and software. Our staff are key to our success and we value them highly. Reasons our staff enjoy working for us:
- Our state-of-the-art Sci-Tech Daresbury campus is lively and dynamic, co-locating a number of exiting high-tech SMEs and multi-disciplinary collaborations.
- Located in a picturesque semi-rural location with easy access to canal-side and woodland walking.
- An excellent benefit pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 26%.
- 30 days’ annual leave plus 10.5 public and privilege days.
- High profile collaborations with organisations such as Rolls-Royce, EDF Energy, Dyson, Jaguar Landrover, Bentley, BAR, Unilever, and Schlumberger.
About the Role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic and hard-working Level 6 Degree Apprentice to join our Systems Engineering team focusing on investigating and implementing new technology solutions for the Hartree Centre and its customers.
The digital technology solutions apprentice will gain first-hand experience working as part of a professional team on Hartree Centre projects supported by theoretical learning. You will have the opportunity to make an impact early on in your role, where you’ll also learn the specialist skills tailored to the knowledge, skills and behaviours to identify, develop and implement new products and services. You will receive mentoring from trained project professionals as well as access to internal and external training courses.
What you will Study:
Working alongside your programme of work at the Hartree Centre, you’ll undertake a Level 6 Digital & Technology Solutions Professional Degree Apprenticeship with Anglia Ruskin University through a blended approach of online and block attendance at the university together with completion of work-based modules focused on Network Engineering and Cyber Security.
You will undertake professional development and training through a blended approach of online learning and in-person teaching and learning. The in-person teaching is delivered in three separate week-long blocks at Anglia Ruskin University’s Cambridge campus at the start of each academic term (3 blocks per year), supplemented by regular in-work progress review / support meetings with the university and your STFC mentor. Travel & accommodation expenses will be provided when attending in-person training.
The modules you complete will be a combination of general computing principles applicable to all occupational areas, with specialist units focused on the requirements of developing competencies in a Systems Engineering role. In your final year, you will also complete your work-based project before undertaking your End Point Assessment. The End Point Assessment will include a presentation between the university and STFC, covering the work-based project, your approach, outcome and the skills, knowledge and behaviours demonstrated. This will be assessed as part of the overall project assessment.
Alongside this you will be supported in developing a portfolio of work-based projects to build and demonstrate the required skills, behaviors and knowledge required for this apprenticeship.
The qualifications you will achieve are:
- BSc (Hons) in Digital & Technology Solutions
- Level 6 Digital & Technology Solutions Professional
The apprentice will have an internal network to support their development and learning.
- Supporting the integration and development of In house technology evaluation infrastructure, this will include aspects of the following,
-SLURM HPC job scheduler
-Security Information and Event Monitoring Systems
-Intrustion Detection Systems
-Software defined networking
-High Speed Ethernet
- Working with colleagues across the centre to develop new workflows for computational science
- A strong interest in technology and computing
- 5 GCSEs at grades C / 4 or above including Maths, English and an additional STEM subject
- Minimum of 96 UCAS points
Examples of entry tariffs are:
- 3 A Levels at minimum grades CCC with at least one from a STEM subject such as Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths
- BTEC National Diploma MMM (Merits)
- Access to HE Qualification
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Quality of Covering Letter – particularly addressing the requirements of the role and which demonstrates an interest in Network Engineering and Cyber Security
- Programming experience with at least one language, e.g. Python, Perl, Java, Fortran
- Basic knowledge of data science and visualization techniques
- Demonstrable network engineering experience
- Prior experience of Cloud technologies, e.g. Google Cloud, AWS, Microsoft Azure, Kubernetes
- Knowledge of basic concepts in statistics e.g. mean, variance, probability
- Confident with strong attention to detail and able to prioritise tasks effectively
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative to solve problems
- Ability to travel occasionally and flexible approach to working hours
All candidates will be required to pass security checks including National Security Vetting to Security Check (SC) Level. Further information is available via https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels/national-security-vetting-clearance-levels