Perry Testing, Rickmansworth – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
- Visit customer sites across the UK, completing site visit sheets on a daily basis
- Make concrete cubes onsite, store concrete cubes, strike concrete cubes, interpret cube test results once tested
- Carry out Plate Bearing Tests (CBR and Incremental), fill in plate test result sheets and perform calculations
- Carry out Load Testing on a variety of structures such as balconies, balustrades and fixings (we are Construction Fixing Association, CFA Approved Testers)
- Carry out Schmidt Hammer (rebound testing) to determine the compressive strength of concrete
- Carry out Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity (UPV) testing to assess the quality of concrete
- Carry out structural investigations using cutting edge scanning technology (Hilti PS200, Hilti PS300, Hilti PS1000, Proceq GPR Live)
- Download and analyse images from the above
- Perform ‘break outs’ and reinstatement during structural investigations
- Extract concrete cores for compressive strength testing, label up, interpret core test results once tested
- Perform Dynamic Cone Penetration Tests (DCP Tests) on soil to find strength/bearing capacity etc
- Perform sampling of materials for laboratory testing (aggregates)
- Perform Slip Testing (using pendulum slip tester)
- Ensure that equipment is calibrated
- Keen attention to detail.
- Good with numbers and calculations.
- Technically minded.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Ideally, candidates would have some prior experience in construction, but this is not a requirement.
- Good candidates will need to be keen to learn, loyal, and happy to travel for work.
- You’ll need to be proactive, flexible, and adaptive.
- You’ll need to be happy being autonomous and able to think on your feet.
- You’ll need to be resilient and self-confident.
- Grade C or above in GCSE Maths and Science
- Driving license
- It’s desirable that the applicant will have a proven track record of starting and finishing a training course/College.
We are a small company, but we are growing fast. There is a real opportunity for progression in the company, including becoming an Engineer, Senior Engineer, Reporting Manager, and much more. This will be dependent on you and your interests, alongside what the company needs.
Things to consider
- All testing activities will be performed on client sites. The role requires a lot of travel, mobility, and independent work. There is also potential requirement for the odd overnight stay.
- Chance of optional overtime on evenings and weekends, will be paid time & a half or double time on weekends.
- Please note, candidates living within a 1 hour commute radius of the vacancy location will be prioritised