The Costello School, Basingstoke – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
6 days left
- 18-24 months
Brief overview of the role
Bohunt Education Trust (BET) is an ambitious, high-achieving multi-academy trust based in the South of England. BET currently comprises of eight schools: The Costello School, Bohunt School and Sixth Form in Liphook, The Petersfield School, Priory School in Southsea, Bohunt Wokingham, Bohunt Horsham, Steyning Grammar School, and Bohunt Worthing. We are passionately committed to inspiring children and young people. Central to BET’s ethos of ‘enjoy, respect, achieve’ is introducing innovation that works.
Your role will mainly involve offering technical support to the senior technician(s), ensuring that equipment is functioning and ready for use, and that the correct materials are available for lessons.
Other duties may include;
- Assembling apparatus
- Collecting, checking, and returning equipment to stores.
- Taking care of laboratory equipment and apparatus.
- Carrying out and arranging for maintenance and repair of resources.
- Constructing and modifying apparatus
- General laboratory cleaning (bench surfaces and fixed equipment)
- Organising and storing chemicals and equipment
- Stocktaking chemicals and/or equipment
- Disposing of waste materials
- Caring for plants and/or classroom animals
- Trialling practical activities
- Checking and repairing textbooks
- Obtaining materials by local purchase
- Assisting in practical classes
- Keeping up to date with developments in practical science
- Keeping up to date with Health and safety requirements
- Carrying out Health and Safety checks on Laboratories, prep rooms, and stores.
- Carrying out routine safety checks.
- Problem solving – considers problems from all perspectives and offers up suitable solutions. Builds on the ideas of others to encourage creative problem solving.
- Decision making – able to tell the difference between important and irrelevant information to reach a conclusion. Can make decisions independently.
- Teamwork – an effective team player. Identify opportunities to support in the delivery of shared goals. Show a strong team ethic.
- Communication – an excellent written and verbal communicator capable of interacting with stakeholders internal and external to the business. Can distil complex issues into simple, understandable language.
- Able to work calmly and effectively within the team
- Also able to work independently
- Results orientated
- Able to prioritise
- Resilient under pressure
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to the achievement of the School’s overall vision
- Keen interest in science
- Able to follow instructions
- GCSE grade C or above in English, Maths, and at least one Science.
- Eligibility to R.Sci. Tech Status
- Realistic prospect on continued employment and career development
Things to consider
- The role itself is quite physical and requires quite a lot of heavy shifting, lifting and moving of apparatus and equipment over 3 floors. The candidate should be fit and able to work on their feet for several hours at times.
- Please note, candidates living within a 1 hour commute radius of the vacancy location will be prioritised
- All PPE for the role will be supplied.