Apprentice Software Engineer
As an apprentice, you will be placed in one of our customer focused product teams. Our applications vary from course information data entry, customer relationship management, application entry forms, and course research facilities for learners.
Technology and Tools:
• C# WebApi
• SQL (Postgres, MySQL)
• AWS (S3, Lambda, RDS, EC2, CloudFormation)
• New relic
Following a comprehensive induction into UCAS, you will be supported to complete a BCS Accredited Level 4 Software Developer Apprenticeship with Corndel Limited, an experienced technology training provider. An initial concentrated period of full-time training with Corndel will set you up with core software development skills to be able to make an immediate impact when you join one of our Development Teams. Your training will continue throughout the apprenticeship with both Corndel and with our own highly skilled development teams. All training will be delivered at UCAS, where you will also be able to access our Development Academies to enhance your personal learning and skills.
Salary £16,285 rising to £18,095 within your first year subject to meeting performance and development expectations.
Job family: DDAT
Terms: 18 month contract/Full Time (35 hours)
Reports to: Team Leader
Team: Software Development
Business unit: Technology
Your experience and learning during this apprenticeship will kick start your career as a Software Engineer within an agile technology development function and be a gateway to further study and promotion opportunities.
Working alongside experienced engineers, you will;
• Work with Product Owners to build and develop UCAS products and services in line with the strategic vision.
• Code and configure solutions utilising standard tooling.
• Work with team-mates using techniques such as test-driven development, pair programming and code reviews.
• Contribute to the ongoing improvement of your team’s processes using an agile approach.
Skills, qualifications, and experience:
Successful applicants will have:
• A-Level or Level 3 qualification in Computing, Mathematics or Physical Sciences
• A minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade C or above, including Maths and English.
• A logical thinking ability, be numerate and analytical.
• An interest in coding and / or scripting.
• Experience of working on your own initiative and effectively as part of a team to achieve positive outcomes or deliver successful projects.
• Naturally collaborative, with good people skills.
This role profile sets out the scope and main duties of the post at the date when it was drawn up. Such details may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or the level of responsibility entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence and cannot of themselves justify a reconsideration of the level of the post. All UCAS employees are expected to be flexible in undertaking the duties and responsibilities attached to their role and may be asked to perform other duties, which reasonably correspond to the general character of their role and their level of responsibility.
Our values in action
Customer-focused We understand what our customers want, and we act on their changing needs.
Collaborative We collectively create an engaging and positive work environment.
Accountable We take ownership of our individual and organisational performance.
Service excellence We realise, grow, and maximise our potential.
Individuals are trusted to make informed decisions and take appropriate risks.