Apprentice Data Scientist The
As one of our Apprentice Data Scientists you’ll be working closely with experienced Data Scientists to unlock the value in UCAS’ analytical data, using open source technologies like R and Python in cloud environments to create high value analysis and outputs to serve our customers.
Following a comprehensive induction into UCAS, you will be supported to complete a level 4 Data Analytics Diploma with Corndel Limited, an experienced training provider. Over an 18 month period, you will have fortnightly coaching with a Professional Development Expert, 16 hands-on workshops delivered by experienced data scientists and practical projects to embed learning alongside our own highly skilled data science teams.
All training will be delivered at UCAS, where you will also be able to access our Development Academies to enhance your personal learning and skills.
Your experience and learning during this apprenticeship will kick start your career as a Data Scientist within a collaborative agile analytical development function and be a gateway to further study and promotion opportunities.
Working alongside experienced Data Scientists, you will;
• Learn and use analytical software to create data structures and analysis
• Communicate effectively with colleagues to understand customer requirements, and presenting and explaining your work to them
• Create high quality and trustworthy structured code and outputs that deliver real value to customers
• Analyse and explore UCAS and external data sources in support of data product development and migration
• Contribute to team meetings and participate actively in the ongoing improvement of processes and analytical methods
Salary: £16,285 rising to £18,095 within your first year subject to meeting performance and development expectations
Job family: DDAT
Terms: 18 month contract/Full Time (35 hours)
Reports to: Team Leader
Team: Data Science
Business unit: Technology
Skills, qualifications and experience:
Successful applicants will have:
• A-Level or Level 3 qualification in Computing, Mathematics or Physical Sciences
• A minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade C or above, including Maths and English.
• A logical thinking ability, be numerate and analytical.
• A natural curiosity and drive to find things out that really matter from data
• Experience of working on your own initiative and effectively as part of a team to achieve positive outcomes or deliver successful projects.
• Naturally collaborative, with good people skills.
This role profile sets out the scope and main duties of the post at the date when it was drawn up. Such details may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or the level of responsibility entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence and cannot of themselves justify a reconsideration of the level of the post. All UCAS employees are expected to be flexible in undertaking the duties and responsibilities attached to their role and may be asked to perform other duties, which reasonably correspond to the general character of their role and their level of responsibility.
Our values in action
Customer focused We understand what our customers want, and we act on their changing needs.
Collaborative We collectively create an engaging and positive work environment.
Accountable We take ownership of our individual and organisational performance.
Service excellence We realise, grow, and maximise our potential.
Trusted Individuals are trusted to make informed decisions and take appropriate risks.