Your duties will include the following:
- Assist with managing build costs, cash flows and budget financial information as per Group policies and processes
- Support the team to ensure that Group policies and processes relating to development/ build-related expenditure are followed and reported fully, adding value to the wider business, and delivering the commercial objectives of the Region
- Assist in the production of comprehensive Commercial reports / estimates for inclusion in Land Appraisals
- Support the management of working partnerships with Housing Associations, third party providers and sub-contractors to ensure that all contractual terms are met
- Ensure that all orders are placed, managed, and settled as per Group policies and processes
- Support the production of key status reports and updates on all KPIs relating to the commercial function
- Study for an appropriate Quantity Surveying qualification at HNC level or above, with a minimum of 1 day per week (or 20% of working hours) being the expected commitment
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Good communication skills who can build strong working relationships with people
- A proven interest in the construction sector and the QS role as a career.
- A mature outlook and attitude; professional in their approach to work
- Focused and determined to achieve their qualification and become fully competent
- Strong numerical literacy and an ability to analyse data
- Can manage their time effectively in order to meet deadlines
- Can remain calm and focused under pressure
- Able to use own initiative whilst acknowledging when to ask for help; comfortable in doing so
Level 3 BTEC Construction & the Built Environment, or equivalent A-Levels.
GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) including maths and English.
A valid UK driving licence is required, or at the very least the applicant will be learning to drive and expecting to achieve their license within 6 months to a year (due to the nature of the role).Future prospects
Apprentices will be eligible to progress to Assistant Quantity Surveyor after completion of their apprenticeship, and this then comes with a salary increase and a car. Progression to the full QS role will follow once the employee has shown their maturity and competence. Avant values hard work and performance, and the successful candidate can progress their career quickly with the right attitude and approach.Things to consider
This vacancy is based near to Wakefield, but our developments are spread across Yorkshire. Some travel will be part of the eventual role. Candidates will spend time on site in all weathers, but a significant part of the role is desk based.
The QS role runs to a strict business timetable which will involve pressure to meet deadlines at times. A successful QS is also a strong communicator who can build good working relationships with people.