Apprentice Quantity Surveying Technician
Ferrovial Construction is the UK based engineering and construction arm of the Ferrovial Group. It is the largest private transport infrastructure operator in the world in terms of capital invested with a workforce of approximately 96,000 employees, and a presence across 15 countries with over 60 years' experience. It is a Spanish multinational company operating through 4 divisions; Airports, Highways, Construction and Building subsidiaries. Ferrovial are committed to developing sustainable and innovative solutions, with the aim to create value for society, and for clients, investors and employees.
The Silvertown Tunnel project was awarded to the consortium Riverlinx CJV (Ferrovial Construction, BAM and SK) at end of May 2019. This complex 5-year project will construct a twin-bore road tunnel under the Thames in east London which will link Silvertown to the Greenwich Peninsula. The Silvertown Tunnel aims to prepare for London's future population growth and relieve the congestion and poor air quality around the 122-year old Blackwall tunnel. It is the UK's first road tunnel to have dedicated bus lanes, buses are all expected to be zero emission vehicles and will support the increasing demand for bus transport across Greenwich, Newham and Tower Hamlets.
The Silvertown Tunnel (STT) Project involves the construction of a twin-bore road tunnel with a Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM), providing a new connection between the A102 Blackwall Tunnel Approach on Greenwich Peninsula and the Tidal Basin Roundabout junction on the A1020 Lower Lea Crossing/ Silvertown Way.
The Quantity Surveying Technician will be required to support the Contracts team in ensuring project costs are value for money and to keep a close eye on project contractual relationships. The Apprentice will work as part of the Riverlinx CJV team reporting into the Contracts team. You will complete a Level 3 Surveying Apprenticeship whilst working at Ferrovial Construction. Full training will be provided, and you will have a graduate as a buddy to learn from.
* Assist in estimating quantities (identifying resulting change), costs and time scales for material and labour
* Assist in preparing tender and contract documents
* Identifying and weighing up the principal commercial risks
* Assist in administering the change control procedure for the project
* Undertake valuation of completed work, tracking against approved budgets and overseeing the payment process
* Assist in ensuring projects meet the minimum legal and quality standards
* Following building regulations and health and safety
* Communicating effectively at all levels including site management, technical specialists, commercial staff, planners, engineers, supervisory staff operatives, suppliers, third parties and client representatives.
* Maintaining high personal standards in health and safety.
* Monitoring the work and ensuring adoption of LIFE Behavioural programme. Maintaining high standards in environmental awareness and behaviour.
* Communicate information to construction teams so they can construct the project effectively and efficiently
* To support the productivity on the site so that the project is completed on time
* Adopting and promoting Ferrovial Construction UK Vision and Values.
* Taking ownership of the work assigned to you.
* Delivering on the responsibilities as set out above.
Skills and Competence:
* Motivated to learn and add value to the team, the role and the apprenticeship programme
* Analytical thinker who enjoys problem solving
* A proven team player who can work with others
* Enjoys working under pressure to meet deadlines
* Good communication skills - verbal and written
* Proactive approach to working and learning
* Commercial awareness
* Familiar with all Microsoft packages, especially Excel
* Aspiring to grow within the Ferrovial Apprenticeship programme by progressing on to higher levels
* Highly motivated
* Logical thinkers who are willing to learn
* Resilient and adaptable
* Results driven with strong communication skills
5 GCSEs grade 4-9, including Maths, English and Science
Apprentices will achieve a Level 3 Diploma in Surveying as a prerequisite to end point assessment and will become associate members of the RICS (AssocRICS).
Duration: 2-year Apprenticeship Programme
Salary: GBP 18,000 per annum
Ferrovial embraces diversity and inclusion and we see the value in providing equal opportunities to all employees. We are committed to building an inclusive team from a variety of different backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
Please note that this job description does not represent a comprehensive list of activities and employees may be requested to undertake other reasonable duties