Important: Prior to applying to this position, please ensure you read through the guidance provided in the ‘how to apply’ section. Applications submitted that do not follow the guidance provided may not be considered.
We offer an exciting 24-month apprentice programme for students that are looking to work with us to deliver on our mission to save and improve lives. An apprenticeship with us will give you the opportunity to collaborate alongside subject matter experts, bring your own ideas and share real responsibility whilst delivering on meaningful projects alongside a passionate, diverse and inclusive workforce.
This role will be based in our laboratories currently sited at Royal Vet College, Camden and the Francis Crick Institute.
Who we are…?
We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products. We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With over 70,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of over 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
We are officially certified by the Top Employer Institute and been awarded the exclusive Top Employer United Kingdom Certification for the third year running.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Laboratory Operations Apprenticeship Programme
Our 24-Month Laboratory Operations Apprenticeship programme offers an excellent opportunity for those eager to take their first steps into a career in Operations and/or facilities management.
As an apprentice, you will be a key member of our team, working alongside subject matter experts delivering on meaningful projects that make a real difference. You will have the opportunity to develop key skills, gain valuable experiences, network with professionals across our organisation all whilst receiving full support from a friendly team and studying towards a fully funded externally recognised qualification.
The Discovery Centre based in the Knowledge Quarter at King’s Cross is a research site working on neurodegeneration and ageing. Biologists, pharmacologists and chemists work together on drug discovery projects. This role will be to support the laboratory staff and the associated business operations, enabling research which is working towards new medicines for patient benefit.
You will get the opportunity to collaborate and support on a variety of projects throughout your apprenticeship programme that will support you in your learning and achieving your qualification.
Some of your duties could include:
- Working to understand the structure of our organisation; our products and services we deliver and the sector in which we operate
- Understanding the role of our business unit, understanding our business strategy and how these apply to your role
- Gain an understanding of our systems, tools and processes we use in [Laboratory Operations) and how to apply them to required tasks
- Assist site scientific staff in the ordering of equipment using our tools and processes
- Work in collaboration with other teams to provide guidance information and generate work orders for equipment onboarding and removal
- Work with equipment engineers to manage equipment
- Work in collaboration with other teams and our lab scientists to participate in monthly lab inspections and implement any findings to make lab improvements
- Work with on-site facilities teams to meet the needs of the labs in areas of:
- Stockroom and inventory management
- Lab clean-ups and waste management
- Shipping and logistical items
- Lab/Office assignments
- Coordinate new lab projects and initiatives
- Collaborating with colleagues to support them in the delivery of various projects
- You will have completed your GCSE’s or equivalent studies
- You will have also completed, or you will also need to have completed your further education or equivalent by September 2021
Qualities we look for
- Operates with a high level of integrity, transparency and accountability
- Comprehends and aligns with our organization’s core values
- Aligns and fosters a culture of diversity and inclusivity
- Demonstrates initiative, proactivity and academic curiosity
- Encourages and boosts their colleagues through teamwork
- Demonstrates clear and effective communication
- Demonstrates a desire to learn and improve their performance through feedback
Which qualification will you be studying towards?
Level 3 Business Administration