Earn as You Learn! A Professional Career Path Awaits
South Norfolk and Broadland Council have an exciting opportunity for an Undergraduate Apprentice - Environmental Health Officer to join their team. This role will be based at Thorpe Lodge, Norwich or South Norfolk House, Long Stratton. The role is offered on a full time basis, fixed term contract for 4 years. In return, you will receive a competitive salary of Circa GBP17,190 per annum.
Split between studying at Middlesex University and working as an apprentice in environmental health. We anticipate the working week will comprise around 2-3 days study at university with some remote learning and the remaining days working in the council.
Are you interested in studying for and gaining a valuable BSc (Honours) degree in Environmental Health, whilst also working for the council as an apprentice and gaining valuable experience in all aspects of environmental health practice? Do you have the drive to become an Environmental Health Officer and deliver excellent public service and protection of local communities? If the answer is yes, read on
What you could be part of???
As well as studying for your degree, you'll also be helping to deliver effective community outcomes in various aspects of protecting and promoting local residents' health, safety, wellbeing and the environment. You will be able to build on the knowledge being gained through your degree in order to develop the competence and practical skills of an Environmental Health Officer.
Working at the Council enables you to be part of an organisation which is proud to deliver high-quality, customer focussed services. Our success comes from us being commercially astute and business-like. Continuous improvement is also vital and we challenge ourselves to develop new and innovative ways to improve the services that make a real difference to people's lives.
What you'll be doing as our Undergraduate Apprentice - Environmental Health Officer:
- Working with, assisting and supporting other members of the professional environmental health teams to deliver services.
- Shadowing and assisting fellow officers with proactive inspections, compliance visits, investigations, surveys, sampling and interventions in commercial and domestic premises and the wider environment.
- As your knowledge and competence develops, you'll be taking on a personal caseload of reactive work, including responding to and investigating complaints, and proactive project work and educational activities.
- Analysing and interpreting data and information and implementing decisions on a broad range of activities.
- As professional knowledge and competence develops, also you'll be communicating with residents and businesses to advise them on the relevant legal provisions and good practice. You'll also liaise with other council services such as Planning and Licensing to achieve compliance and improved environmental health outcomes.
- Assisting and supporting fellow officers to carry out enforcement duties, for example the collation and collection of evidence, preparing reports, drafting formal notices, preparing cases for prosecution in the Magistrates' Court and attending court as a witness in line with enforcement policy.
What we're looking for in our Undergraduate Apprentice - Environmental Health Officer:
A levels or equivalent in scientific subjects meeting the entrance requirements for Middlesex University's BSc (Hons) course in Environmental Health.
Broad academic knowledge in a science subject, geography, or social studies meeting the entry requirements for a Batchelor of Science (Honours) degree in Environmental Health.
A full, valid driving licence or a commitment to obtain a valid driving licence with business use insurance.
What's in it for you as our Undergraduate Apprentice - Environmental Health Officer:
- 25 days holiday increasing to 28 days after 5 years service plus bank holidays (pro-rata for part time employees)
- Opportunity to work your hours flexibly to improve your work life balance (where operationally possible)
- Employer pension contributions of 15% with the option to make additional voluntary contributions
- Access to our One Team Rewards scheme including discounts in high street shops and restaurants, employee assistance programme and car lease scheme - with more to come!
- Payroll giving scheme
- Regular reviews with your line manager, develop a personal development plan, as well as opportunities to undertake training
- Compassionate leave and sickness entitlement for times of need
- Support towards volunteering days in the community and encouragement to be involved with fun activities to raise money for local and national charities
If you feel you are the right candidate for the role as our Undergraduate Apprentice - Environmental Health Officer then please click 'apply' now, we'd love to hear from you!
Closing date: 20 July 2021
Interview date: Week commencing 02 August 2021