Dev Ops Engineer Apprentice Level 4
4 days left
- 12-18 months
The day job
We have an exciting new opportunity for DevOps Engineer Apprentices to join our Account supporting a large IT estate in Wiltshire. As a valued member of the team you will gain the opportunity for rapid on-the-job learning combined with 18 months of structured training and mentoring to support your journey to becoming a Software Developer/DevOps Engineering professional.
You will work within the engineering cloud and virtualisation teams maintaining and enhancing our existing solutions, architecting and developing new customer solutions, and providing technical support to our users. Your role will allow you to develop and practice the skills around DevOps method of delivery in a real environment within agile teams. You will undertake tasks around the Continuous Integration and Continuous Development (CI/CD) pipeline alongside writing and maintaining scripts for automation tasks within the Software Defined Data Centre and writing Infrastructure As Code (IAC).
In return, we will provide an encouraging work environment with the flexibility to participate in scheduled work release training with QA. You will receive continual coaching, help and guidance and be exposed to the technologies which underpin the cloud and virtualisation services, providing a rounded experience and appreciation of the full technology stack.
- Participation in the specification and implementation of the new service
- Learn and work with scripting and coding languages such as Python, JSON, .Net, Puppet
- Understanding Agile and Scrum methodologies while working within agile teams
- Be part of daily stand-ups providing status updates on progress and blockers
- Use of DevOps processes and tools; repos, version control, testing and deployment. Including open source tools; Git, Jenkins, Selenium and vendor specific such as Microsoft Azure and VMWare
- Exposure to SIEM tools such as Splunk
- Understanding and detailing the existing infrastructure and CI/CD processes including the integration of security and quality tooling
- Writing and maintaining scripts in a virtualisation environment and a Software Defined network
- Contributing to the DevOps continuum; plan, code, build, test, release, deploy, operate and monitor
You need to have:
- 5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent (including English Language and Maths)
- Level 3 Software apprenticeship or,
- A Level STEM subject (within Technology and Maths fields only) or
- BTEC Diploma or
- 2 years' experience in a relevant role
It would be great if you had:
- Strong practical knowledge of network fundamentals, TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, DHCP, Firewalls etc
- Solid understanding of AWS or similar modern cloud infrastructure providers
- Knowledge and experience of coordinating and deploying development CI/CD tools
- Experience with infrastructure scripting solutions
- Experience with Windows and Linux operating system environments
If you are interested in this role but not sure if your skills and experience are exactly what we’re looking for, please do apply, we’d love to hear from you!