Passionate about Science? Considering further education in a Scientific discipline? Want to learn in a lab and not in a lecture? Look no further!
Reading Scientific Services Ltd (RSSL) is a cutting-edge Contract Research Organisation (CRO), providing research, analysis and consultancy to the food and pharmaceutical sectors. Enriched by our parent company, Mondelēz International, our diverse team includes 23 nationalities from 300 members, creating a family feel as we strive towards our mission of “Science Enhancing Lives”.
Our Laboratory Technician apprenticeship strikes the ideal balance between going to university and getting a job. You get to earn while you learn – and your classroom training is all backed up with practical experience and the support of a buddy. All in all, the perfect preparation for an incredible career with a fast-paced, diverse and dynamic company.
Each year we are recruit multiple apprentices, so you’ll get the chance to work and study together, across different functions and previous year groups.
What will you do?
You will be on a robust training programme, working throughout a range of our food and pharmaceutical departments, to learn and carry out lab work, over the course of 24 months. You’ll be undertaking an Advanced Apprenticeship, to become a Laboratory Technician, whilst studying towards an HNC in Chemistry or Biology.
To support your education, you will be eligible to utilise 20% of your time towards your studies. This could be one day a week, or you can save them up for your revision and exams.
Where will you be based and when will you start?
You will be based at one of our 3 sites, all of which house state of the art laboratories. These sites are Reading Science Centre and JJT based on the University of Reading campus, and the third based a short drive away in Wokingham.
Our apprenticeships start in September.
What benefits will you get?
In return for your work and dedication, you can look forward to;
- All tuition fees paid
- Access to world class scientific equipment
- The opportunity to work with and learn from highly qualified and experienced scientists
- A competitive salary with bonus scheme
- Contributory pension
- Generous holiday allowance
- Flexible benefits programme
- Access to employee health and well-being programmes
You’ll need a good academic background to qualify for our apprentice program, including;
- To have studied a suitable Scientific qualification, preferably A-Level’s in Chemistry and Maths (alternative experience and qualifications will be considered).
- To have achieved (or be predicted) a minimum of 120 UCAS points
- A minimum of 5 GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grades 9-5 (A*-C), including Science, Maths and English (Language)
As well as your qualifications, you’ll also need to have;
- A passion for science
- A willingness to learn
- Ability work independently, as well as part of a team
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good communication skills
Please be aware that this role may require handling of materials that may contain chemicals, solvents and allergens, and the appropriate protective wear will be supplied.
Upon completion of the apprenticeship, you will have the opportunity to remain as permanent member of staff.
Apply for Laboratory Technician
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly