As an Apprentice Contracts manager you will assist managers in the delivery of construction projects. Projects will vary in size from £50 on our reactive maintenance side of the business and up to £1.5M on our planned development and refurbishment side. You'll be learning to become a manager of process and people on real construction projects. Assisting the managers to ensure the projects are delivered on time and within budget you'll assist in the planning of works, dealing with materials, programming staff and managing the financials and Health and Safety. You will be expected to work within a team and on your own but will receive full support from managers in every aspect of the role. The role is based in our South Devon office but extensive travel around Devon and Somerset is expected and therefore a full driving license is required but we will provide a vehicle to allow you to perform your duties.
You'll be supported with delivering these duties by established managers and the H&S department as a trainee/apprentice. Duties listed are completed by managers and it is not expected that you will deliver these tasks independently in the first instance. However, as you develop in the role you will be expected to complete these with less support as you start to manage your own projects. ·
- Estimate/price work from start to completion
- Liaise with Client from start to handover upon completion
- Allocate labour and manage accordingly including approving leave and dealing with aspects of people management
- Liaise with sub-contractors and build relationships with these
- Ensure project is being completed within budget · Ensure project is delivered safely and in accordance with CDM regulations
- All duties are completed using the company IT system which includes, order & Invoicing software, MS office suite and MS365
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Competent with IT to include MS office, construction or Maintenance experience/knowledge preferably developed with some time spent on the tools, be able to communicate at all levels of business and with external clients and stakeholders
- Friendly approachable manner with a keen interest in management.
- Must have excellent time keeping and be able to prioritise workload.
- Willing to learn in all aspects of the business and would ideally suit an individual wish to move from tradesman into a management position or a former level 2/3 apprentice
- GCSE Maths and English Grades 4/C or above
- After successful completion of training we expect the candidate to be a contracts manager