Chemist - Graduates
Chemist - Heysham - Solvent Recycling
A tiny bit about us:
Tradebe is a global company in the environmental sector serving various markets including industrial, manufacturing, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, oil & gas and more. Leading industrial waste management services in Europe (UK, Spain and France), with a strong presence in the US and the Middle East.
Main purpose of job:
- Ensure that a high standard of health and safety is maintained within the laboratory at all times and proactively engage in a safe working culture.
- Operating all analytical equipment in accordance with operating procedures to provide a rapid, accurate and reliable analytical service to all sectors of plant production.
- Ensure that laboratory analytical equipment is maintained and calibrated to a high standard by adhering to predetermined schedules.
- Provide information to other members of the laboratory team to ensure the smooth running of laboratory operations and the prompt resolution of problems.
- Provide information to others to ensure the smooth running of plant operations and the prompt resolution of problems.
- Required to work a shift pattern to ensure either 24 x 7 or 24 x 5 cover in the laboratory. To provide sickness and holiday cover, as necessary and possibly at short notice.
- Liaise with other members of the shift team and the Plant Managers/Shift Managers to ensure that information is being communicated effectively, in particular during shift change via the shift changeover logbook.
- Ensure operation of laboratory equipment in accordance with operating procedures. Recording analytical information where required and performing quality control checks to ensure equipment functions to a high standard.
- Perform data entry and filing of reports to ensure that accurate analytical data is presented in the correct format and in a timely fashion to all relevant parties so as to avoid a backlog of information.
- Carry out analysis to cover all sectors of operations, including: Recovery, Boiler fuel, Secondary Liquid fuel and Water testing (cooling towers, sea outfall and boilers) in accordance with individual specifications and Environmental Permit conditions etc.
- Ensure that samples from process plant are taken in order to avoid processing delays.
- To sample bulk tanker inputs ensuring that samples are taken and analysed promptly to minimise the potential for demurrage.
- Ensure that non-conforming materials and any problems encountered with results are communicated effectively. This will include reporting out of control results but should also include monitoring of historic data to establish trends so as to prevent problems.
- Carry out health and safety monitoring and assessments as required, to provide data for monitoring programmes and to maintain laboratory records, e.g. COSHH personnel monitoring and COSHH assessments.
- Ensure that the laboratory is able to function continually by conducting equipment and stock checks on a weekly basis.
- Promote a high standard of health and safety within the laboratory, through own actions and by instruction to others, including but not limited to ensuring compliance with all site, company and legal requirements.
- Make relevant continuous improvement suggestions to supervisors / management and monitor equipment performance.
- Provide cover for weighbridge operations outside of office hours. This to include site security, point of contact for drivers, booking materials onto and off site and completion of paperwork to a high standard of accuracy and compliance with all relevant legislation.
- Ensure that equipment issues are reported in a timely fashion and highlight delays in repair etc.
- Deputise for other staff during periods of holiday and sickness.
- In addition to these functions' employees are required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required.
Other Essential Skills:
- Practical, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management, reporting and communication skills
- A strong commitment to and understanding of environmental and occupational health and safety management systems
- Strong chemistry knowledge
- An understanding of IT systems particularly SAP, Microsoft operations Word and Excel
- An understanding of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and an ability to observe the requirements of the Company Safety Policy and other relevant legislation
- A good understanding of analytical chemistry
- Special functional knowledge and experience
- Cross-functional understanding
- Lab Chemist - 6 months fixed term
- Shift Chemist - Permanent
We would be particularly interested in hearing from recent graduates who have a related degree similar to that of our organisation who want to start a new career.
Graduates: We would ask that you include a supporting document when submitting your CV. This should consist of a 1 page word document outlining your motivation for wanting to join our organistation and progress as a Chemist.
Career Progression: You have the option to progress from Chemist - Senior Chemist within a reasonable time period 9-12 months depending on performance.