Role: Trainee Chartered Accountant Sept 2021 (School Leaver) - Level 7 Apprentice
Department: Assurance & Business Services (Audit)
At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. Our trainee schemes are structured training programmes combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management to delivering presentations.
Many businesses need to reassure investors and other stakeholders on their financial performance, even where a full audit isn’t necessary, appropriate, or required by law. We provide wide-reaching financial advisory services to international clients across a number of industries and a diverse client base, ranging from small businesses and family enterprise start-ups to non-profit organisations.
What will I be doing?
As part of our Assurance & Business Services team you could be working directly with clients like managing and financial directors in different working environments at their own offices, checking that numbers stack up with fact. This means providing advice and solutions that really make a difference. You will also have exposure to working with partners gaining invaluable experience and building your confidence with senior members of staff.
Many of our audits last just one or two weeks, which means you'll quickly gain exposure to a variety of businesses. You'll also build valuable client experience, developing the knowledge and skills needed to be an effective auditor and trusted business adviser. Alongside your work, you'll receive first-class professional training as you study for the Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) qualification, which will enable you to gain a full understanding of the technical aspects of audit and accountancy and additional financial advisory services.
Responsibilities of the Trainee role could include:
- Working as part of a team to undertake a variety of audit and accountancy tasks
- Developing an understanding of our client’s and their businesses
- Completing audit programmes and form conclusions on each individual test and section completed
- Understanding from your manager the scope of tasks allocated and objectives to be achieved
- Keeping seniors and managers fully informed of any issues and problems, ensure work is completed to a level agreed with the manager and record clearly and concisely work done
- Becoming familiar with our audit and accounting software
- Resolving queries whether of an audit or accountancy nature
- Prioritising tasks whilst monitoring time against budget
- Opportunity to take on extracurricular responsibilities within the department e.g. tech champion or social team member
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
Progression within this team is fast, with responsibility from an early stage. By the second year you'll be taking on a more senior role with smaller clients and helping to supervise the new intake of trainees and as your experience grows, you may have opportunities to experience other assignments such as control reviews and due diligence projects. You will also receive internal training from the professional services learning and development team.
Additionally, you will achieve the Level 7 Apprenticeship qualification, developing essential skills sought out in the professional services sector.
To be successful in this role you will:
- 112 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English Language and Maths at a minimum of grade 5 (or equivalent)
Here’s what our trainees have to say about our Audit trainee programme…
“The audit manager will always need to review my work, which could lead to discussions with the manager or other members of the audit team which helps to create a constructive atmosphere for self-development. The audit partner will also need to review my work after the manager which could lead to discussions with the partner too.”
“The wider range of clients and accounting experience really does improve your overall knowledge and understanding of the profession to help you become a well-rounded accountant by the time you qualify.”
“Being able to work at a client’s office enables you to experience different business cultures, and operational approaches. Learning these whilst on the job can really help you understand where you would like to place yourself in the future.”
Please click on the following links to be taken to our trainee website for further details on our application process and to see our recruiter hints and tips .