This position is working within the IT & Change team at BMS and is the ideal opportunity for an aspiring Software Developer to join a growing and busy team as they embark on a number of projects to deliver the capabilities central to the success of BMS.
The apprentice will work closely with the Senior Developer and wider development team within the Business Applications arm of IT & Change.
This is an opportunity to learn 'on the job' in a dynamic and collaborative environment whilst earning a qualification at the same time. In this role the apprentice will support the team in developing and managing core critical applications used within the BMS Group broking divisions. We have bespoke applications that require full development processes and we use vendor solutions that require maintenance/configuration to ensure that the business users are fully supported.
Duties may include:
- Assist with the migration of the current C# ASP.NET web applications to a new Azure cloud environment, including utilising Azure development best practices
- Support building technical solutions to requirements driven by the broking divisions
- Test these changes with either automated tools or manual testing
- Build a strong network of relationships across the business, in order to deliver accurate and timely solutions
- Adhere to BMS development standards and change process
- Assist in support tickets raised in regard to BMS custom developed applications
- Adhere to company and regulatory policies, procedures together with mandatory training requirements
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Programming knowledge and/or experience required, ideally in ASP.NET, C# and Azure development
- Any knowledge of Azure DevOps an advantage
- Must be a self-starter & be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and can adapt to meet the needs of the audience
- Ability to grasp the significance and meaning of a range of technical and complex issues
- Ability to work well in a team and contribute positively to team goals
- Ability to build strong relationships with colleagues and stakeholders
- A passion and willingness to learn
- Dynamic, highly motivated and ambitious
- Personally demonstrate the five BMS values and ensure that team members are aligned with these: Accountable, Entrepreneurial, Collaborative, Empowering and Disciplined
- 5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent (including English Language and maths)
- Level 3 qualifications such as A Levels, Advanced Apprenticeship, NVQ or BTEC
The role offers the opportunity to progress into a long-term contract or permanent position.