We wish to appoint an enthusiastic apprentice to work as part of the Information Services team within the college. You will need to be professional, have a great eye for detail, an interest in data and reporting, and reflect the ethos and values of the college.
- This exciting role will involve creating accurate and timely reports, tables and other data summaries as well as maintaining existing reports
- You will help to produce and run data quality reports, working with colleagues to cleanse and fix data errors
- You will learn to use SQL and Visual Studio to manipulate data from a variety of sources to help support systems and inform decisions
- Supporting the Head of Data & Funding, you will learn to generate and check the funding return file for submission to government agencies
- The successful candidate will support the web development function in the team with system testing, and work towards helping support existing websites.
- You will be working towards gaining a good technical knowledge of relational databases, reporting software, and an understanding of Further Education funding data
This is a great opportunity to start a career in a data analyst role with real potential to progress within the organisation.
The successful candidate will be proficient in MS Office applications, in particular Excel and Access. You will hold as a minimum a Level 3 IT qualification and GCSE Grade C or equivalent in maths and English.
Main purpose of post:
As the Apprentice IS Developer you will be helping to create and maintain accurate and timely reports, tables and other data summaries. You will interrogate the MIS databases to develop reports for use by all staff at the college and support the Senior Web Technologies Developer to ensure an excellent and responsive service for our customers. You will work towards gaining a good technical knowledge of relational databases, reporting software, and an understanding of Further Education funding.
Good reports require good data, and as such you will run existing data quality reports and design and implement new ones, in conjunction with the Student Records Manager and the Head of Data & Funding. You will help the web development function of the IS team with system testing, and eventually work towards helping to support our existing websites.
You will get involved with projects such as introducing new software or processes, which can involve liaising with representatives from outside the IS team and/or outside of the college. You might find yourself testing the software or working to introduce new data flows into or out of our core systems.
Underpinning all of this is a good knowledge of SQL server and, in particular, writing T-SQL. You will be expected to take ownership of this and to be self-motivated and engaged with the learning materials and opportunities provided.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Continually develop your SQL knowledge and experience, with support from the IS Team and learning resources. In particular, writing queries, views and stored procedures
- Help to manage the SQL Server database, including SQL Agent Jobs, functions and other automation modules on the server to support the reporting function
- Carry out 1st line support tasks, such as managing the IS Helpdesk and responding to customers. Be the first point of contact for many of the requests coming into the IS team
- Manage the MIS report catalogue, including regular reviews of reports for continued operability, and amending and retiring reports as required. This includes keeping reports up-to-date with latest reporting technologies in use at the college
- Use SQL Server Reporting Services to build reports, and ensure they are made available to customers. Where appropriate schedule them for automated distribution
- Work with the team to introduce Power BI as an internal reporting tool
- Help the team to manage the student records system, UNIT-e. Design new or
adjust existing screens to the needs of our customers
- Working with the web developers, conduct system testing as and when new systems are introduced. Maintain testing plans to the specification given
- Use Visual Studio to help support and maintain existing college websites
- During your second year, start to learn ASP.NET and C#
- Help support the relationships with third parties who are accessing data taken from our student records system, in particular those using SQL views
- Alongside the Head of Data & Funding, generate the ILR file from the MIS system for validation with Government Agency supplied software, liaising with the Student Records Manager to fix data errors
- Contribute to team meetings, discussions and activities
- This post requires full compliance with Health & Safety, Safeguarding, Equality &
Diversity policy and procedures at all times
- This description is not exhaustive: it is intended to give an outline of the current duties and responsibilities. Other duties consistent with the post may be introduced through discussion with the post holder
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Knowledge of SQL-based relational databases and how to interrogate them with SQL to obtain data (desired)
- Competent user of Microsoft Office applications, in particular Excel and Access (required)
- Demonstrable aptitude for programming (required)
- Writing reports to requirements and specifications (desired)
- Working with data entry systems (desired)
- Vigilant attention to detail
- Willing to learn new systems and processes
- Good interpersonal skills Friendly / Positive approach Enthusiastic
- An interest in data and reporting
- Commitment to Equality and Diversity
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all our learners
A relevant Level 3 IT qualification or above
GCSE Maths and English at Grade C or above, or equivalent.Future prospects
Potential to progress within a data analyst career.Things to consider
2 Year Apprenticeship
Flexible start date for the right candidate
£13,277 (1st year) per annum £15,319 per annum (2nd year)
Basingstoke College of Technology, located in North Hampshire, is a leading and well respected further education provider. The college prides itself on its excellent links with business and the success of its learners in securing positive destinations.
Basingstoke is an expanding town with a thriving economy and excellent transport links. The college was rated 'good with outstanding features' in May 2016 by Ofsted and is committed to becoming an 'outstanding' provider. Our financial health has consistently been rated 'outstanding' over the last 10 years by the Skills Funding Agency.
BCoT is a significant provider of apprenticeships and we have set ambitious growth targets.
BCOT is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome enquiries from everyone and value diversity in our workforce.